Chapter 7

It was Sunday morning again. Allison was already up and bustling. She was dressed in a blue Sunday frock. She was making eggs for breakfast and was fixing a meal for Riley to eat later. She was bringing a corncake she had made from dried corn from last year's harvest to the potluck. Clayton was taking care of the animals and making sure they were properly fed.

Allison set her and Clayton's breakfast on the table and gathered Riley's to give to her. She knocked on the door and a mumbled voice responded, "Come in."

"Sorry if I woke you up," Allison said apologetically to the girl who struggled to sit up and smoothed down her messy hair.

"Oh it's fine. I'm starving! What is for breakfast today?"

"Eggs and bacon. I didn't have much time to make anything fancy. I also have some cold sandwiches covered here for your meal later."

"It will be great. Thank you," she responded.

"You're welcome. Now you have fun and try not to be too sad while we're gone," Allison said and smiled.

Riley smiled back, "I'll try. Now you go and have fun too. And talk to that cute preacher of yours!"

"Riley!"

Riley just giggled and waved her away.

"Go on now, don't be late."

"G'bye, see you later."

Allison smiled as she left the room. In the hallway she bumped into Clayton who was coming out of his room. He was dressed in his nice clothes.

"Sorry, sis. Didn't see 'ya there," he said.

"It's fine. You look handsome. Trying to catch a certain lady's eye?" she asked curiously.

He smirked and said, "No. Are you trying to catch a certain man's eye?"

She blushed, "Maybe. What's it to you?"

He laughed as he took her arm and led her to the kitchen. She hustled him to the table where they both sat down and ate their breakfast. When they were finished, Allison grabbed up the dishes while Clayton went to hitch up the team to the wagon. Soon they were on their way to church. After a short while they arrived at the school building with wagons parked in front. Clayton got down and came around to help Allison.

Leaving the corncake in the wagon for later they ascended the steps. Allison saw her friend Justice sitting next to Oakley and moved to sit next to them. They smiled at her and gave her polite hellos. Clayton went to sit next to Jesse and Lloyd. Allison noticed that Becky and Bryce were sitting next to each other as well as their families.

Rev. Dave stepped up to the front and the talking hushed.

"Good morning, everyone. I hope you have all had a wonderful start to this beautiful day. Let us begin our service by singing some hymns."

The congregation stood up as hymnal books were passed around. Once everyone was ready the singing began.

"I am Thine, dear, blessed Jesus, all Thine,

All of self now to death I consign;

Gladly, gladly all I have resign,

That salvation in its fullness be mine.

Glory, glory be to Jesus, I'm saved!

'Tis a blessing that my heart long has craved,