Chapter 11

The slap to her cheek stung and left her eyes watering.

"When are you gonna stop being such a burden? You are constantly underfoot. I think it's high time you get out of here!" he father yelled. "You should go and be useful, like your mother. I'm sure some people wouldn't be too picky," he said, scrutinizing her body.

She grimaced as she realized what he meant. She would not sell herself like her mother. She was sure she could earn money other ways, or get married although she didn't have a dowry. Riley had wanted to get away from her abusive parents for a long time, but was unable to. Now, she was almost sixteen, a good age to be out on one's own. She was determined to be different than her parents. She would not end up like them.

The dream didn't surprise Riley like the last one did. She was bound to remember some things, no matter how deep down she pushed them. Why has my life been so difficult? At least things were going good for her, for once. But she knew things would change, just like they always did. Today will be a good day, she told herself. She would make it so.

She got up and ready for the day. Having a regular routine calmed her. Riley dressed and finished tying her boot lace. Time to do the morning chores. She didn't mind them. It was nice being useful and she like moving around even though everyone thought she should take it easy. It was true that she had trouble sleeping and her body would ache all over sometimes, but otherwise she was fine. Her bump was big now, and she knew that people knew she was pregnant. The looks they gave her hurt, but Riley kept reminding herself that she had done nothing wrong, she had been married after all.

Pretty soon people were going to start asking her questions directly to her face. Questions that she wasn't sure she had the answers for or the desire to answer. The truth. Tell them the truth. That's what Clayton told her.

Riley came inside from collecting eggs and saw Allison at the stove. She was stirring a pot of porridge.

"Good morning. How are you?" Allison asked.

"I'm just fine! I wish everyone would stop asking me that!" Riley said, exasperated.

"We're just concerned. That's all."

"I appreciate that, but trust me when I tell you that I would tell you if anything was wrong."

"I believe you," Allison smiled.

Riley sighed, "Good! Now, can I help you with anything?

Allison shook her head. "No, breakfast is almost ready. There's porridge and muffins with jam. Sound good?"

Riley licked her lips, "Yes, I can't wait to eat! I'm starving!"

Allison laughed, "You always are."

Riley patted her stomach, "No thanks to this little one."

"He's just telling you he has more growing to do."

"Or she," Riley said.

"Yes, I guess we won't know until another four months."

Riley nodded absentmindedly, not wanting to think that far ahead.

"Have you felt the baby move yet?" Allison asked excitedly.

"A little bit," Riley responded.

"That's good. It must be so amazing. I can't wait to be a mother," Allison said dreamily.

"Maybe that'll be sooner than you think, with the way Pastor Dave looks at you."

Allison blushed, "Really?"