Chapter 16

The real reason that Clayton didn't want to go to lunch with the girls was because he planned to hunt down a birthday present for Riley. He knew she didn't expect him to get her one, but he hoped she would be pleasantly surprised. He had somewhat of an inkling of what women liked. He had shopped for Allison's birthday plenty of times. They liked soft, feminine things. Clayton suspected that his sister probably got her something like that. Maybe she had even gotten things for the baby. Clayton wanted to get something special for Riley personally. She deserved it.

He made his way from the lumber mill to the General Store. He almost bumped into a man exiting on his way in. Clayton apologized and walked up to the counter. Mrs. Dale was waiting to assist customers.

He tipped his hat to her, "Hello, ma'am."

"Hello, Clayton. I didn't expect to see you here today, since Allison came already."

"I'm looking for a gift for Riley, could you help me out?"

"What exactly were you thinking of?" she asked.

Clayton thought for a moment. He noticed that Riley was always borrowing Allison's jewelry. Perhaps she'd like some of her own.

"Can you show me your jewelry?"

"Of course, right this way," Mrs. Dale led him over to a case filled with fine jewelry resting on velvet.

"What quality do you have in mind?" she asked as he peered into the case.

"I have to admit that I don't know much about jewelry ma'am. What would you suggest?"

"How about something like this," she paused, unlocking the case with the key ring dangling from her belt.

She picked up a gold bracelet and held it out for him to inspect. It was pretty, but he thought it didn't quite fit Riley. He shook his head and she put it away with a sigh. Clayton tried to think of what Riley would like. He wanted to find something that was distinctly Riley. Something that was as equally spunky and beautiful as Riley was. Something that would be important to her, that she would cherish forever.

Mrs. Dale held up a soft gold locket. The chain was medium length and there was a design on the front. He asked her if he could look at it closer, and she handed it over. He held the delicate piece in his large hand and brought it close to his face. Upon inspection, he noticed that there was a cross in the center with swirls engraved around the edges with beautifully crafted flowers edging the swirls. He flipped it open with and there were two spaces for pictures or a lock of hair. The back was etched with thorny, prickly vines that filled the surface.

This piece of jewelry, this locket, showed transformation. It could have been a metaphor for all that Riley had been through. She was choked up by the thorns and vines, but with Christ in her, she was becoming a beautiful flower. Clayton had seen the difference in her already from when he'd first met her. He knew God still had room for her to grow.

"I'll take this, Mrs. Dale."

"Fine choice, Clayton. I'll ring it up for you."

He handed it back to her carefully. Mrs. Dale locked up the case and gingerly carried the necklace to the counter. He followed, close at her heels. She put the locket in a small box lined with a cushion. Then she placed it in a paper bag, stuffing it with newspaper to keep it safe. Clayton passed over the money and she smiled, grateful for the business.

"Is that all?" she asked.

"Yes. Thank you, Mrs. Dale."

"You're welcome. Have a nice day," she told him on his way out.