Part 9

'Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone,
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.'
-Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

~~~

The Palace;

Zachary steadied his shaking hands behind his back as he made his way towards the chamber that had housed his daughter.

Today was the day of her wedding; the day he had to leave her here.
He had not spent even a single moment with his daughter since months.
His work at the Estate, and then the wedding preparations had demanded his entire time and attention.

It was only after realising the dearth of time that he had left with Maya, that Zachary found himself walking towards her chambers with an evident urgency.

It was the last time they would be conversing while she still carried his name.
He was going to give her away to another man in less than an hour.

The guards standing in the corridor gestured for the maid to open the doors, allowing him inside.

He was soon met with the site of Maya's innocent, inquiring gaze. Her smile had vanished as she met his gaze from where she stood surrounded by other ladies.

Zachary saw his sister and her daughter-in-law among them.
This was the first time he was meeting Eleanor in sixteen years; and much to his chagrin, she had refused to spare him a glance ever since she arrived.

He knew that she was only tolerating his presence as the wedding was taking place in the Palace.

Over the years, he had learnt to accept the fact that he would never gain her forgiveness.
But it did nothing to reduce his anguish each time she chose not to acknowledge him.

"May I have a word with my daughter, in private?"
Zachary kept his voice stable as he spoke, directing his gaze at Maya.

His sister looked at Maya with questioning eyes; it was only after she saw her small nod, that she led all the other women outside, all the while avoiding his eyes.

The door closed with a soft thud.
Zachary smiled softly as he looked at Maya.
She looked breathtakingly beautiful!

In that moment, he was reminded of another time- another bride.

He could see Saya's reflection in her eyes.

Had his wife looked this beautiful on their wedding?
He could not remember; he had been too bitter with self-pity and frustration to notice that.

But now, as he stood before their daughter, he could not help but wonder if this was how her mother had looked in her bridal attire.
If she had, then he had been an utter fool to overlook that.

"Maya...how are you?"

Maya stiffened at her father's soft questioning gaze.
She had not been expecting him here.

They had not held a decent conversation ever since her betrothal and she was glad for that.
Being in his presence only brought forth emotions that she wanted to avoid.

She loved her father- it was only natural.
He had been the most doting father.
It was easy to bask in his love while she was a child. She had not known anything about the hurt that he had caused her mother.
He was her dear Papa.

But all that changed.
Now that she knew everything, her consciousness would not allow her to remain the same around him.
She felt betrayed.
She no longer knew how to act around him- especially when he looked at her with so much love and hurt.