Part 11

'Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.'

-William Goldman, William Goldman: Four Screenplays
~~~
Hayworth Estate;

Emma stepped into the courtyard of the manor with hesitant steps.

An anticipation, unlike anything she had ever felt, surged through her.
Her visit to the Hayworth Estate was nothing new. She had spent her entire childhood here.

But something was certainly different about her visits since Maya’s wedding. The estate felt empty without Maya. Every corner of the manor seemed to remind her of her dearest friend. However, that was not the only reason of her apprehensions.

This place had changed in more than one way for her. She had begun to find her heart softening towards the one person she had deemed incorrigible.
Brandon Hayworth had been steadily proving himself to be a caring man, instead of the incorrigible rake that she had perceived him to be.
Emma had learned to see the beating heart beneath the tough, devil-may-care façade that he embodied.
Over the last month or so, they had turned civil towards each other.

They bickered as usual, but the tone of their bickering had turned from hostile to teasing. Instead of being offended by his scandalous and callous words, she found herself fighting to hide her smile.

She knew what plagued Brandon Hayworth.
His actions had started to make more sense to her ever since the night of Maya’s wedding.
But after hating his guts for such a long time, the shift in her feelings regarding the man was frightening.

Hence, she had decided to avoid him as much as possible. That however, seemed to be a difficult task when she had promised Maya to visit Lady Margaret every week.
Running into Brandon had been inevitable.

Today though, fortune seemed to be on her side. Brandon was nowhere to be seen and she found herself hurriedly planning her exit after her meeting with Lady Margaret.

She had just taken a sigh of relief when a pair of footsteps sounded behind her.

“Emma!”

Emma turned abruptly as she recognised the owner of the voice and felt herself smiling warmly.

“Averey! How are you?”

Averey tried to hide his pleasure upon seeing the smile on Emma’s face.
He had been anticipating her weekly visits more eagerly than he would ever confess.
Her presence had been a constant in their life since childhood. Maya was seldom without her company.
Hence, it had taken some time to adjust to the idea of her absence. That must be why he awaited her visits.
Her presence made Maya’s absence hurt less.

“I am fine, as always. Did you talk to grandma? Is she okay?”

Their grandmother had not taken Maya’s absence well. Although she insisted, she was fine, they all knew she wasn’t.

Emma’s face dimmed at the question.
“She is the same. She really misses Maya. You all should spend more time with her.”

“We all do! But we could not seem to make her any happier. I am really worried about her.”

Emma could clearly see the worry in his eyes and instantly regretted telling him about her doubts.
He was a kind-hearted and gentle man. She knew he would take her words to heart and constantly trouble himself over them.

“She would be alright with time. Do not be so distressed.”

Averey sighed as he took note of her words.
They did little to ease his doubts but he appreciated them. She had turned more civil towards everyone over the past few weeks and he had begun cherishing each and every one of their short conversations.