Part 18

'Separation:

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.'

-W.S. Merwin
***

The Palace;

Maya rearranged the pleats of her gown as she made her way through the corridors. Her heart thudded with anticipation. After more than a week of being away from her Edward, she had been forced to acknowledge the fact that she could not bear to distance herself further from him.

As soon as he was back, she would tell him exactly how much she loved him.
They would face all the difficulties together. He had never failed to show her how much he loved her. Now it was her turn. She knew that as long as she had his support, she would be able to overcome all her demons.

Maya's thoughts were interrupted, however, as she neared the end of the corridor. Her feet slowed and the smile on her face dimmed as she heard the commotion near the stairway.

"What is wrong?"

She frowned as she saw the Queen standing there, looking every bit as agitated as the maids surrounding her.
King Eric stood a few feet away, tension etched on his face as he gave instructions to a group of soldiers.

"Mother, what happened?"

Queen Catherine turned towards her with an anxious face. She made her way to Maya, not once averting her worried eyes from her.

"Maya, it is alright. He will be fine."

Maya's knees almost buckled with the shock of her words.

"What do you mean, mother? Where is Edward? Please tell me what happened!"

Queen Catherine gently held her hands in hers and spoke in a sympathetic tone-

"He was on his way, my dear. But th- the rebels ambushed his carriage..."

"Ambushed! But, how could they? Where is he now?"

Maya made little efforts to calm her erratically beating heart, clinging instead, on the words of her mother-in-law.

"Do not worry, Maya. One of the horsemen was able to ride here, to warn us. We have sent our best Knights. He would be fine."

Maya saw the conviction in the other woman's eyes and forced herself to calm down.

"But, what if they were too late?"

Her voice was much more composed as she grabbed onto the Queen's hands.

Catherine shook her head firmly.

"He was not far from here. Have faith in him, my dear. Have faith in the Lord and your love. My son will be back soon."

Maya took a shuddered breath as she allowed Catherine to pull her in a warm embrace.

She closed her eyes tightly, wishing for it to be a nightmare she would soon wake up from. The first tear escaped soon afterwards.

She could not survive if she lost Edward. No! Not after losing her mother, grandma and her son...

She prayed to the Lord to return her husband to her and vowed to never repeat her mistake. She would spend the rest of her life loving him.

Oh, Edward! Come home...
__________________________________

Bradford Estate;