Part 14

'If, of all words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are, 'It might have been,'
More sad are these we daily see:
'It is, but hadn't ought to be!''

- Bret Harte
***

The Royal Palace;

“How is everyone?”

Brandon immediately averted his gaze from his sister’s face. How was he supposed to answer that?

When he had decided to visit Maya, he had been driven by his intense need to seek comfort in the company of his sister. He had not had enough time to contemplate the results of his action.

After the wretched revelation of a few days back, it had taken a few days just to restrain the fury that threatened to burst him at the seams.
It had not taken much contemplation to visit the Palace. It had been a spur of the moment decision.

When he had seen his sister’s face, elated with joy up on his visit, he had felt relief beyond his imagination. She appeared positively happy and contended. Her face glowed with an undefinable aura, making her look every bit the princess.

However, now, as he was faced with the inevitable question, he felt his resolve weakening.
What had he been thinking, coming here?

“Th-they are alright.”
He tried to keep the hesitation out of his voice.

Maya was quick to sense his discomfort. He had been uneasy since the moment he entered the Palace.

“Are you certain, Bran? You do not seem alright. Is something the matter? Is grandma alright?”

Maya’s worried tone caused him to wince inwardly. He should have known that he would be unable to hide his state of mind from his sister. But there was no way he could just spout out the truth.

“I am simply tired by the journey, Maya. Everyone is alright. Trust me.”

Brandon felt the guilt creeping up on him. He hadn’t even visited the Hayworth Estate for the past many days. What he was telling her, was no less than a blatant lie. He was certain that his grandmother was not alright. She had been in a miserable state the last time he had seen her.
Though he felt remorseful for abandoning her in that state, he had not had the courage to trust himself in the company of that despicable man.

Maya did not look like she believed any of his words; but she decided to let the matter pass.

“How is Emma? She has been a gem, visiting grandma in my stead. It calms my mind to know that she looks after her.”
Maya’s face lit up with a smile as she mentioned her friend.

Brandon felt a pang in his heart as he heard Emma’s name. He had not given her a single thought over the last few days; his mind had been too preoccupied to deal with the woes of his own life.
She must have been hurt by his sudden departure; more so, when they had begun enjoying each-other’s company far more than he had ever intended to.

“Oh- yes. She visits every week.”
Brandon all but stammered out his reply.
Oh, she had been visiting all right…

Maya looked at him in a funny manner, with a secretive smile on her face.
“I already know she does, Bran. I was more concerned about her well-being.”

“Of course! Yes, she is- she is well.”

She frowned at his answer, not being able to decipher the reason behind his strange behaviour.
“Why do I feel like you are hiding something from me, Bran? You know that you can tell me whatever plagues you. I am your sister. If anything is the matter, I need you to be honest with me.”