Part 19

'Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.'

-E.E. Cummings
***

Bradford Estate;

Sleep alluded Averey for yet another hour. He turned restlessly in his bed, trying in vain, to get his mind off the strange behaviour that his brother had showcased. He had never seen Bran so unnerved.

Even Robert had seen through his feeble attempts of hiding the worry in his eyes. Averey had had to intervene on Bran’s behalf to dispel his younger brother’s doubts.

Even after trying multiple times, he had been unable to gather the reason behind it. But he knew it had to do something with Emma. She had been the one visiting Bran before them. What had transpired between them, had evidently not been something pleasant.

The thought had kept him awake for the most part of the night. Now, he found himself too restless to stay confined in the chamber and decided to have a stroll to freshen up his mind.

It was then, as he made his way through the hall, that he heard the shatter of glass, followed by a distinctive cry of anger.

Averey followed the sound and entered the library, only to stop abruptly as he took in the alarming sight before him. The only light in the library emanated from a single candelabra, holding no more than three candles, and situated on the corner table.
Brandon’s figure, hardly visible, was slouched in a chair opposite the door. He held a tumbler of liquor in one of his hands, the base almost touching the ground; shards of glass surrounded the wall beside him.

Averey took cautious steps towards him, trying to gauge his reaction. Brandon gave no indication of acknowledging his presence, keeping his gaze fixed on the floor.

“Bran…What is wrong? And do not try to refute this time. This is not you. What has happened?”

Averey’ face scrunched up with worry as he gently pulled the tumbler away from his brother’s hold.

Brandon raised his eyes to him, causing Averey to gasp. His eyes were rimmed red and glazed.

“I am pathetic, brother.”

His hollow voice echoed in the stillness of the library. Averey sucked in a startled breath as his frown deepened.

“What? Why are you saying that? Of course, that is not true.”

A ghost of a smile crossed Brandon’s face, though there was hardly any warmth in it. He sighed deeply and went to stare back at the floor.

“You would not be saying that if you knew what I have done.”

Averey leaned forward as he spoke pleadingly,

“Then tell me! Is it something to do with… Emma?”

Brandon’s gaze snapped up to him as soon as the words were out of his mouth. His face confirmed Averey’s suspicions.

How…”

“I saw her on my way here. Did something happen?”

Brandon’s pained expression elevated Averey’s worry.
Had something happened to Emma? Was she sick?

Before Brandon could answer his question, they were interrupted by a commotion outside the library.

In the very next moment, Averey found himself facing his father’s livid face. His confusion at his sudden, unexpected arrival, only increased, when he saw Emma’s father behind him.