Chapter 1

Sarawat watched the rain fall through the big window in the private hospital room where he was staying. He was sitting in an armchair and his hands held a book he had been reading moments before. A summer rain had started without warning, the blue and sunny sky suddenly turning grey and cloudy. The rain distracted him from his reading, finding himself immersed in the sound of it, watching water droplets collide with the glass of the large window.

The sound his cell phone made when it rang brought him out of his musings. He put the book he was holding on the armchair and got up, walked to an overbed table and picked up the device on top of it. He accepted the call without checking who it was as he already knew who it would be.

"Yes, mom."

"Wat, I'm almost done here. I'll come get you in about 10 minutes time. Do you have everything ready?" His mother answered cheerfully from the other line.

"Yes, I've got everything packed." He nodded despite knowing she didn't see him.

"Well then, I'll see you in a bit, I love you." Sarawat let out a short, airless laugh. Lately, his mother wouldn't miss the opportunity to let him know how much she loved him. He didn't blame her; he would surely act the same way after almost losing a loved one.

"I love you too, mom, " then he hung up the call and put his phone in the back pocket of his pants. He placed his hands on his waist and glanced at the room he was in, looking at the suitcase and a bag full of gifts that were on the bed for a few seconds.

He had been discharged the day before, the doctors found him healthy enough to return home after staying 9 weeks in the hospital. His mom was in the doctor's office signing the discharge papers. His life would finally return to normal.

He walked to the window and watched as it was blurred by the now heavy rain, seeing visions of the city in patterns of water covering the glass. Immersed in the soothing sound of the rain, he couldn't help but remember the day he woke up from his coma.

Voices.

Sarawat could hear someones' voices speaking, these were distant, somewhat dissipated murmurs, almost unintelligible but they were there. He could feel the brightness of the place he was in despite his closed eyelids. Where was he? He wondered and tried to open his eyes, but found these strangely heavy. With an effort, he forced his eyes open only to be momentarily blinded by the bright light of the place so he closed them right away. He let out a grunt, such an action causing him intense pain in his throat, his mouth felt dry, and he had an insatiable thirst.

"Mr. Guntithanon, can you hear me?" He heard that voice again, only this time more clearly.

Carefully he opened his eyes, his gaze was blurred and he felt somewhat groggy. He tried to focus his sight as best he could and when it became clearer, he glanced around the place. Confusion washed over him as he looked at the figures some in white coats standing around what appeared to be a bed. Hold on. He was in a bed, he noticed. Again, he looked around the place and saw that he was in an unfamiliar room, surrounded by strangers, with strange machines around his bed, and strange tubes and cables connected to places on his numb body.

He tried to lift his head and sit up, but a hand stopped him.

"Sir, it is not advisable for you to do that." He heard a female voice say. He turned his gaze to the voice, facing a middle-aged woman's face and glared at her. Again, he tried to get up, and again he was stopped.

What the hell was going on? Why didn't these people let him be? Who were these people? Now he was pissed off.

"Sir, you have to calm down," said this time a male's voice. Sarawat glanced towards it. "We are here to help you. I'm Dr. Phakdi, the medic in charge of your case and you're at Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital."