Chapter 2

9 years later.

Sarawat was in the arrival hall at Bangkok airport. He walked to the exit dragging his luggage with one hand while with the other he was sending a text message with his cell phone, notifying the person who was going to pick him up of his arrival. The message was quickly seen and answered by his younger brother, who gave him instructions on where to meet up. When he had finished reading the message, Sarawat put the phone in his trouser's pocket and yawned with exhaustion. He was worn out. After 20 hours and 45 minutes of flight, he felt his butt and legs numb. The problem hadn't been the trip, as this had been quite calm. But very tiring: first, he had taken a plane at New York International Airport, which, after a fifteen-hour flight, had taken him to Seoul, where he spent almost an hour in layover, and from there, he had taken off to Bangkok, which was five more hours sitting down. Sarawat, despite having been able to sleep through the whole journey, was suffering from jet lag. He had no issue with flying, he even traveled a lot because of his job, but he was not used to making such long flights and the only thing he wanted at that moment was to get home and sleep for days.

In spite of this, Sarawat couldn't help the slight smile on his lips, he was finally back in his home country after so many years abroad. He had really missed Thailand. He tried several times before to find the chance to return, but due to his busy schedule, he was unsuccessful. Thanks to an occasion that had presented itself, he had found the perfect excuse to be away from his work in New York, where he was based.

After a couple of minutes walking, Sarawat arrived at the airport parking lot and scanned the area looking for his younger brother. The place was packed with people, some on their way home or wherever they were staying, while others were leaving the country. But amidst the hustle and bustle, he was unable to recognize any of them as his brother. "Where the hell is he?" Sarawat wondered, pulling his cell phone out of a pocket in his pants. He was about to dial Phukong's number when a white SUV pulled up beside him. Phukong quickly opened the driver's side door, jumped out and with quick steps, approached Sarawat and surrounded him in a hug, taking the latter by surprise.

"Phi, you don't know how much I've missed you," Phukong said, without breaking the embrace, but rather intensifying it thus implying the seriousness of his words. Sarawat smiled and returned the gesture, gently patting his younger brother on the back.

"I missed you too. How are mom and dad?" Sarawat asked after they broke the hug.

"Dad, as usual, is on one of his business trips, out of the country. And mom is at home waiting for your arrival. You have to see how excited she is. I even had to talk her out of throwing a surprise party," he said then started laughing amused, Sarawat couldn't help but laugh too. "I told her you'd be too tired after your flight for a party."

"And you're right. I'm exhausted," he said with a sigh, running a hand through his hair.

"I can see that," Phukong took the luggage from Sarawat's hand, and walked over to the trunk of the SUV, opening it. "Come on in, it's getting late and we shouldn't keep mom waiting," he said after loading the luggage, then closed the trunk, walked to the driver's side, and opened the door stepping into the SUV. Sarawat opened the door on the passenger side and got into the vehicle as well. They both buckled up, and the youngest one started the engine and began driving away from the building.

Sarawat settled down in the brown leather seat and closed his eyes, letting the tiredness take over and falling into a nap.

He was awakened by the shutdown of the engine. After a few seconds of drowsiness, he released his seat belt and got out. He looked around and noticed that they were in the parking lot of their family's villa. The place hadn't changed much since he last saw it seven years ago, there were clear renovations and obviously new things but the design itself remained the same.