Part Twenty Four

Would y'all believe me if I said that killing Tim wasn't originally part of the plan? It was a spur of the moment decision that led to me planning the whole rest of the book around it so I stuck with it.

"That's it." Dick slammed his hands down on the dining room table at breakfast about a week after Tim's funeral, standing up as he did so. Damian looked up at his brother, staring at him with emotionless eyes. "We're going to the mountain. I can't stand being in this place. We need a break, both of us."

Damian just nodded, following after Dick as he went upstairs to his bedroom. Damian veered off to his own room, grabbing a few essentials before meeting Dick in the hallway. He followed his older brother down the stairs to the cave, entering to find their father sitting at the computer in his suit cowl down. He hadn't been joining them for breakfast the past few days, despite his promise to be around more. Bruce was almost always in the cave, working on something that he wasn't telling either of his present sons about.

Looks like he hadn't learned from recent events after all.

When Damian and Dick walked in Bruce looked up, turning to address them. "Boys, come here. I need to talk to you before you head to the mountain."

Dick snorted. "Oh, now you want to acknowledge our presence." Bruce averted his eyes for a second, a look akin to guilt flashing across his face. "Father, our brother was just murdered by our other brother, don't you think we need you now more than ever? And where are you? Hiding away with all your toys in your little make believe cave?"

"Dick, please, hear me out." Bruce spoke softly. "I know I haven't been a great father since the beginning, but I'm trying to make it up to you. The reason I have been 'hiding away' as you put it is I've been working on locating Jason and Talia. They aren't at the main Shadow island, but I believe I have pin pointed their location."

"And why would you bother doing that? Jason killed Tim! You were there!" Dick growled, clenching his fists at his side.

Bruce sighed. "I know what Tim's final wishes to both of you were. He doesn't want you to give up on Jason. And neither do I. There is-"

"If you say there is still good in him, I will hurl." Dick hissed. He grabbed Damian's hand, tugging him towards the zeta tubes. "Come on, Damian, we're out of here. We don't need to listen to this bull any more."

The two brothers appeared at the mountain moments later, stomping to the lounge. They tossed their bags on the table before collapsing on the couch h huffs of annoyance, drawing the attention of Kaldur and Conner, who were sitting on the opposite couch watching television.

"You two...okay?" Conner asked carefully. Damian shot him a look and Conner nodded. "Right. Stupid question."

M'gann and Artemis walked into the room a moment later, having heard the zeta tubes announce the brothers' arrival. They took one look at the annoyed faces of the siblings and sat at the bar stools by the kitchen island that connected the lounge and the kitchen. "What happened this time?"

Dick groaned. "Our father thinks Jason is worthy of a second chance." Dick spit out his twin's name with such disgust and anger that his teammates visibly flinched. "I mean, can you believe that?"

"Kind of, yeah." Artemis shrugged when Dick glared at her. "He is Batman after all. Isn't that his whole thing? Giving criminals second chances? I mean, he gives the Joker how many chances despite his body count? Of course he is going to give his own son another chance."

Damian was about to say something when Wally entered the room with a familiar face. Damian narrowed his eyes. "What are you doing here, Bart?"

Bart smiled sheepishly. "Hey, so, uh, funny story-"

"You're from the future, we know." Damian rolled his eyes before something clicked in his head. "That's why you didn't seem all that phased about your friend giving you notes to give to his brother on the 'off chance' something happens to him! You knew this would happen!"

Bart paled when he saw the two highly skilled assassins glaring at him. He gulped, stepping slightly behind Wally. "H-hey now, I'm from the future! One of who knows how many! I didn't know this would actually happen. And I can't interfere with past events or the whole time stream would be thrown off!"

"Doesn't you just being here throw off the time stream?" Dick mused.

"Not if it was meant to happen. And then we get into confusing paradoxes and what not, so I try not to think too hard about time travel. All I know is I can't interfere too much, no matter how badly I want to." Bart spoke earnestly. "If I could've saved Tim, I would've. Believe me."

Dick and Damian nodded slowly, an antsy feeling filling them up. "I can't sit still right now. I need to do something."

"Like what?"

"Hurt someone." Dick growled. He turned to Damian. "You spot the location on father's computer too?"

"Of course, I'm not an amateur. You thinking what I'm thinking?" Damian grinned.

"Hell yes."

The rest of the team exchanged glances. "You two are going after Jason, aren't you?" The brothers just stared blankly back.

"You're not going alone, you know that right?" Wally stared at Dick as he said this. "And don't say you won't be alone cause you have Damian with you, you know what I mean. We're coming with you."

Dick sighed. "Fine. But don't try to interfere. We know what we're doing."

"We only want to make sure you don't do something you'll regret."

Damian scoffed. "I have never regretted anything in my life, I doubt I'll start now."

The group made their way over to the bioship, everyone taking their seats. Damian gave M'gann the coordinates and they were off towards their destination.