ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ xɪɪ - ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇs

THE TAIGA KINGDOM

"The tracks lead down there!" Stacy pointed to a small camp at the base of a hill. The three travelers glanced from the hill's peak.

"We must be close then, since these prints are new," Kyle said, crouched down, tracing his finger on the paw shaped imprint.

Finally, after all this time, worrying, traveling, searching. She was so close. This may lead her to the alpha wolf. Her mind glossed over the fact that the inhabitants of the encampment below could be unfriendly to others.

Stacy beamed, "What are we waiting for then? Come on!" She slid on the hill's surface and reached the ground. Yammy and Kyle followed soon after.

There was a man standing at the outskirts of the campsite, watching them move towards him.

"Am I the only one who is a little creeped out by-" Yammy pointed, "-him?"

Stacy and Kyle nodded. The man cleared his throat as they came closer.

"Greetings, Queen Stacy and Queen Yammy, and Sir Kyle," he croaked.

The three were taken aback. How did this man know who they were? Stacy approached him first. He was a citizen of her kingdom, after all. She extended her hand, and the man shook it.

"I'm sorry but do we know you?" Yammy asked.

The man shook his head. "No, but I know you. I've been waiting for you two. Ever since I saw the Taigan wolf run across our humble base."

Stacy's eyes widened. "How-how did you know?"

"My parents were historians, and they trained me for one specific mission, to fulfill the prophecy of the Lilacs."

"Lilacs? Like the Dance of the Lilacs." Yammy moved past Stacy and Kyle to come face to face with the stranger.

"Yes," the man stated, "that song was written by my ancestors."

Yammy gasped. The song she heard as a lullaby. The song passed down through the generations of Flower monarchs. The song always played during every Poppy Day she had ever attended.

"What is it that you have to say?"

"You must venture to the river Iksos. It's north of here. There you will find your answers." He turned to Stacy. "Both of you."

Yammy was confused. What questions did she have that needs answered? And what did it have to do with the Lilacs song? At least Stacy has found what she was looking for. All they have to do was head to the birch forest.

"But for now, let me offer you a meal and a place to stay for the night." The man brought them to a small cottage, clearly constructed recently, there wasn't even any glass windows. He showed them inside. "Oh, and by the way, my name is Wen."

There was only one bed but he brought out a sleeping pad, in addition, he had a couch long enough for one person to sleep on. After dinner they prepared for a good night's rest.

"I'll sleep in this." Wen raised one of the sleeping bag. "You three can sort out who sleeps where. Goodnight."

Stacy sat on the couch. "Could you two share the bed?"

Yammy blushed at the suggestion. The silence between the two was awkward, but Stacy didn't seem to notice. Kyle cleared his throat as he ran his fingers through his hair. Stacy got comfortable on the couch, her eyes drooped, nearly closed as she muttered her last few words.

"Come on guys, if you won't share," Stacy yawned, "then someone has to sleep on the ground." She drifted off.

Yammy and Kyle turned to each other.