Chapter 1 - The flea market

Third POV

It was a normal day near the end of September. The warm sunny weather leaving a hint of the ending summer in the air.

A flea market was being held, where local vendors were trying to sell their previously-owned merchandise. Giving the items, such as used goods, collectibles, antiques and vintage clothing the opportunity to be purchased and be put to new use in it's 'second' life.

The market rubbing off a formal yet casual vibe. The people of the town observing the items that were on sale to see if anything sparked their interest.

Among the vendors, a painter sat. Displaying some of his previously made work to attract potential customers, in the hope to sell them a portrait of their very own or a previous made one. A young female observing his work from a little closer. "Anything to your liking, miss?" The painter asked while approaching her.

He wore an orange chemise with a green vest and brown pants. A pair of dress shoes at the bottom and black tie around his neck.

The woman turned around. Her (H/C) hair put together in a pony tail to the back as a few loose locks fell around the frame of her face. Her pale complexion complementing her (E/C) eyes.

"These portraits are magnificent, sir." She told the man sincerely. He thanked the woman for her kind words, questioning if she would be interested in her very own portrait.

"Sure, why not." She nodded and took place on the wooden bar stool positioned before a his painting easel. A kind smile resting on her features. Pushing a strain of hair to the side before letting her hands rest in her lap. The painter getting started on his now newest piece of artwork. As time went by, a blue Spix's Macaw landed on her shoulder, shrieking and purring as it pushed its head into her cheek. "Hello (P/N)." The female said contently, replacing the bird from her shoulder onto her knee.

That way the painter could continue his work, making small talk while his client held still.
"I must say miss, you face look extremely familiar. Have I drawn you before?" He said, looking from the canvas to her. She slightly shook her head. "No sir, I'm afraid not."

"Oh, but of course, I have seen your face in the newspapers. Are you a reporter?" He asked in his slightly French accent.

"I'm a journalist." She replied. Her bird purring while slightly pecking on her fingers. "Be patient, (P/N). It's nearly finished." The female said, gazing towards her feathery friend before looking back up.
(P/N) hopped from her knee to her boot onto the ground. Taking off flying into the blue-ish sky once more.

Your POV

"There. I really hope you like it." The painter said, turning over the board of the easel to show the picture. "Not bad. Not bad at all. What do you think, (P-P/N)?" I said taking in the portrait. Only to turn to my left to see my Spix's Macaw was nowhere in sight.

"Oh (P/N)..." I mumbled to myself, pulling out the right amount of coins to pay the artist. "Thank you sir." I said one last time before taking my leave, the rolled up painting in my hand. "Now, where could that bird have gone off to?" I thoughted aloud, my eyes scanning the blue sky above me.

I passed a stand selling a variety of different books. My eyes scanning through the many different titles, I found one that sparked my interest. A book about hidden historical treasures from all around the world. The book itself was in relatively good state.
"How much for this one?" I asked politely, showing the vendor the book.
"That would be 20 franc, madam." The man replied, his pipe hanging from the corner of his mouth.

"Would you take 15 franc?" I questioned. The vendor hummed in thought. "Hmm... Alright, sold." He said, giving in to my request. We shook hands to round up the deal. I handed him the right amount of money.

"Thank you. Have a good day." I said, shortly waving the man goodbye. "You too, miss." He replied before turning to another costumer.

I looked around while passing many little stands with all kinds of items. But still no sign of (P/N). One of them was full of mirrors, big and small. Their reflection showing my blue coat, bits and pieces of my white sweater and dark blue blouse from underneath were also visible, combined with black pants and high dark brown boots. My (H/C) hair reflecting in the shimmering sunlight.

"Anything?" I heard a man question to the one next to him. The two men dressed in a black suit and bowler hat. A cane resting on each of their arms.
They kind of reminded me of twins.

"Nothing." The man to his left side in disappointment. Each one held one side of the newspaper in their hands. Only to notice that there were holes in them, their eyes looking though them. I made quick mental note about them as I walked passed the odd duo.

My attention shifted when I heard barking from not to far away. In fact, from right behind me. I turned to find a small white dog standing behind me. (P/N) sitting on its back while looking at me innocently. "There you are!" I sighed in relief. I squatted down, my hands resting on my upper legs as I leaned forward. "And I see you made a new friend?" I questioned with a smile, gently petting the snow white fur on its head.

The white dog barked happily, standing on his back paws wiggling its tail contently while his front paws rested on my knees. But where is its owner? It can't have gotten far.

"Snowy? Snowy?!" I heard a male voice yelled.

My gaze and that of the dog shifting towards the source of the sound. The dog ran towards the voice. Not soon after, (P/N) flew off behind it as well.

"(P/N), where are you going? (P/N)?!" I asked dumbfounded. I broke into a run as I did my best to keep up with her, slipping between the crowd to follow her and not lose her out of sight.