Chapter 51

"I can't believe you still trust her," Joe said, his scowl hidden by his helmet as they stood in the madame's private room.

Rex chortled. "I don't trust her. Never have, but I know where she stands. She's always for sale to the highest bidder. The kids are safe with her as long as there are no tickets on their heads, and if Sloan hasn't issued tickets by now, he's not going to."

Joe tried to believe that. "Thanks for paying for this. I'm sure hiring a madame to babysit isn't exactly cheap."

Rex squeezed Joe's shoulder. "What are you talking about? You're paying me back. With interest." He limped off to speak with the madame, who was saying something that was making Reuben blush.

Joe headed over and knelt before the kids. "You're safe here. I'm going to bring your mother back."

"Take us with you," Romy said.

"We can help," Nick added.

Joe shook his head. "Not this time. I need to know that you're safe. Listen, we'll be back by morning, so you have to hang out here just a little while longer."

Neither kid seemed pleased if their pouty expressions were any indicator.

Joe met the others on the other side of the room.

Kit looked up from his armlet. "Cat's staying at the murc-house. She sent me her room number."

Reuben had rubbed his neck red. "And you're sure the pills won't kill us?"

"The pills are safe," Kit said, and Joe heard a "more or less" tacked on, barely audible, at the end. Then he spoke louder. "This will work. Joe and I have used these pills plenty of times before."

"And you never suffered any bad side effects?" Reuben asked.

"We've used the pills on other people; we've never taken them ourselves," Kit corrected. "Only one person died, and he had a heart condition. You don't have a heart condition, do you?"

Reuben's eyes went wide. "I don't think so, but what if I do and I don't know?"

Rex clapped Reuben on the back. "You'll be fine, boss. You've been saying that you had a hard time sleeping."

"Sleeping is different than being comatose," Reuben clarified.

Rex shrugged. "Sure. One has dreams, the other doesn't."

"It'll be dinnertime soon. We should get moving," Joe said.

Kit opened the madame's nondescript back door that led outside the brothel. As Rex limped out, he wagged a finger at the madame. "This doesn't make us even, Layni."

The woman smiled. "You're right, Rex. You still owe me for driving that cutter of yours through my wall."

Rex grimaced and put on his helmet. "Water under the bridge, Layni. Water under the bridge."