Chapter 62

"We'd better hurry," Kit warned. "Sloan would've called for backup as soon as he knew we'd found his safe room."

Joe looked down at their fallen enemy. Sloan's eyes stared lifelessly at the ceiling, the blaster burn a round black mark on his forehead. In death, the man looked no different from any other dead body, yet in life he'd caused pain to far too many people, including those Joe had sworn to protect.

He turned to Sara. "Are you injured? Did he hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine," she replied.

Her exhausted expression said differently, but he'd address her imprisonment later. He grabbed her hand, and the five exited the safe room and worked their way back to Reuben's body. Rex bent down, slung Reuben over his shoulder, and started walking again.

When the group reached the foyer, Kit opened the door. Murcs filled the room on the other side. He closed the door. "Not that way."

A pounding on the other side of the door ensued, and the group made their way back into the residence. Soon, Joe heard blaster fire against the door.

"Any other ideas for an escape?" Kit asked.

"Honestly, I'm surprised we made it this far," Rex said.

Joe racked his brain. "Sloan had to have another exit."

"I've never seen one on the maps," Val said.

"Wait," Sara said and paused. "I think I know where it is. I've seen him go into his office, where he disappears for hours at a time. Sometimes, when he comes out, he's wearing different clothes."

"Let's go," Joe said, and the group ran back to the office. Rex, surprisingly, kept up.

Once inside the office, Val rushed around the bookcases, pulling at every bookend she found. She tossed a glance at the safe room. "Too bad Roderick wasn't here."

"What time is it now?" Joe released Sara's hand and began looking around.

"Nine," Val replied.

The sound of blaster fire from the other end of the residence increased. "They're breaking through," Kit said.

"Gabriel said Roderick will get here by noon." Joe narrowed his gaze on the wall behind the desk. It was partitioned. Curious, he walked up to it.

Val paused. "Roderick's on his way here? Now?"

Kit stiffened. "Don't even think about it. We can't risk going for him today, too."

Val scowled as she dropped a bookend. "I know that. But if I had known Roderick would've been here in three hours, I would've adjusted the plan."

"Like how? Skip the rescue and go straight to the killing?" Kit said.

Her lips thinned. "Never."

Kit gave a hint of a smile, then turned and swiped away an entire bookshelf.

Val picked up a paperweight. "By the way, Havoc, you really thought they'd mistake a paperweight for a grenade?"

Joe shrugged. "I was a bit surprised they bought that." He knocked along the wall. When he heard a hollow sound on the second partition, he pressed against it. Nothing happened. He ran his fingers along the woodwork, stopping when he found a bump. He pressed it, and the wall opened. Behind it stood a door.

Joe swiped a keycard over the small wall panel, and the door opened. He gave a start, not expecting it to open, but fortunately, no one outside shot at him. In fact, no one was outside the door. He motioned for the others to follow, and they hurried through the doorway.