Chapter 53

Reuben walked through the atrium, feeling as though everyone was looking at him. He wore the same blue uniform as every other murc soldier in the building, but felt like a poseur. Sweat trickled down his cheeks, and he hastily wiped it away. He was surprised that no one stopped him as he walked, so he hastened his pace. He became so focused on walking that he nearly walked past the security room.

He stopped, spun around, and swiped his keycard over the panel. The door opened, and he stepped into what seemed to be an administrative wing. He walked past a couple of offices before he came to a door that read SECURITY SWITCHBOARD.

He gulped, then swiped his keycard over the panel. Nothing happened. He tried again. Still nothing. He pocketed the keycard, held up his hand, wriggling his fingers before making a fist, and knocked.

A man's visage appeared on the panel. "What do you want?"

"Uh, I'm new. Just in from Central today. They said I'm assigned to the switchboard."

The man rolled his eyes. "Can't anyone correctly handle noob processing?"

The door opened, and Reuben stepped inside.

The man stood before Reuben. Behind him, two people sat in front of a switchboard that filled the wall. The man held out his hand. "Show me your papers."

Flustered, Reuben patted his pockets. Then he pulled out his blaster, but he didn't pull the trigger. He couldn't bring himself to kill someone.

"What are you doing?" The man asked as though Reuben was an idiot.

Oh wait, the blaster was on stun. Reuben squeezed the trigger and didn't let go. Blasts hit the man standing in front of him, and, as he looked across the room, his blaster moved with his eyes, shooting the other two people before they could even get out of their chairs.

He released the trigger and coughed daintily as smoke wafted through the room. He stared at the three people lying unconscious on the floor. Then, in a rush, he holstered his blaster and went to the switchboard. He looked over the panels and found a section labeled Door Locks. There were at least twenty switches. He hesitated, then flipped them all off.

He nodded to himself. Then he tapped out a notification and sent it to Rex.

A weight suddenly lifted off his chest. Reuben left the room, closing the door behind him, and strolled out the front entrance. He smiled, then began whistling a tune as he headed toward Kit's cutter. He'd just reached it when Cat stepped out from around it, holding a blaster. A hunter came up behind him, also holding a blaster.

The tune died on his lips as his mood fell.

Cat smiled. "Hello, Reuben."