Chapter 1 - Luna

(Please bear with me on this, it's my first story and first attempt. I'll keep writing as long as I keep enjoying it. Feedback is completely welcome and appreciated xx)

Fenrys

It had been the roughest pregnancy I had ever experienced throughout the entirety of my immortal life. Obviously not my own, but my Queen's. Aelin had been in increasing pain for weeks and it had had everyone on edge. Especially Rowan, who had been more cut-throat than usual.

It should have been a relief when Aelin had finally gone into labour, but the tension in the air could've been cut with a knife. Pregnancy was hard for fae, that was no secret. So though nobody had voiced their worry, Aedion's face had whitened several shades. The thought had crossed my mind on several occasions to form some kind of joke about it, though eventually decided against. Probably because if I'd let my tongue slip, I'd most likely be risking my life in doing so.

Of course, said particular digs had become worse since the announcement that Aedion and Lyssandra were to be godparents,  and not me. I'm sure Rowan could've killed me quite easily and with very little regret with the amount of grief I'd given him for it. I'd begged and pleaded on my hands and knees on countless occasions, springing out at unexpected times from behind alcoves and doorways  just to try and catch him off guard. After weeks, he'd finally given in. How or why, I'd never quite understood. Now I owed whatever fate or god for that small mercy.

And that is the story of how I had ended up in the delivery room, well... Rowan and Aelin's room at least. I couldn't quite decide whether I had come to regret the decision or not. Theoretically, a part of me knew this was a precious moment; my Queens child was going to be born and I would be the one who could sing from the rooftops to claim that I was there in the glorious moment. I had witnessed the birth of my future King or Queen. Hopefully they'd be easier to deal with than Aelin.

Though in the moment, there was far too much blood coating the room for any reason excluding a bloody mess of a fight. The feeling had me on uneven footing. I'd never been surrounded by that much blood for reasons other than death and despair. It didn't quite seem right that that much blood was supposed to be the entry of a new life. I'd felt less giddy after the war with Erawan and Maeve and there had been far more blood and gore and bodies, and though I was completely nauseous, I couldn't bring myself to leave.

Aelin was screaming and- holy gods there was the head. I scurried quickly to my Queens side and took her hand, which admittedly I probably should've thought through, because scriptures I'd be in the infirmary later trying to beg Yrene into set my hand back to the way it should be. Not with bones sticking out at peculiar angles. 

Rowan had been uncharacteristically quiet, murmuring soft words of support in her ear every few moments or so.

The bond between them was unlike anything I had ever seen. Even in mates. Gods I'd give away my immortality just to live one lifetime with a bond like that. The fierceness and fiery way they loved each other. I had come to love it. The idea of love that is. But perhaps fate had decided I hadn't earned that right. Not yet at least. Though I'd never admit it out loud, even to myself, I agreed. I shuddered slightly at the thought.

"It's a girl." Yrene was cradling the new born to her chest, wrapping it in the softest blanket I had found hours ago. It had to be perfect. I'd wanted to be prepared for my duty in the delivery room, earn my place if you will. I'd been frantically rummaging throughout the castle, searching for only the best quilt in the world (hopefully). The Princess would deserve nothing less and everything more.

I had left Aelins side after Rowan had taken her hands in his, kissing her knuckles repeatedly. Reaching Yrene, I took my first glance at the new born girl. It was all I needed.

The world did not deserve her . The soft, delicate babe was perfect. The light freckling hairs on her head, and behind her slightly pointed ears, she'd taken from her father. A snowy, glistening white that shone in the faelight. And her eyes- oh her eyes- gosh I could see the hundreds of people that would fall at her feet just looking into those eyes. Ashryver eyes.

My knuckles stroked as lightly as I could manage down the length of her round, little face. Her lips tugged slightly into a toothless smile. A chuckle slipped from my lips in awe and looked up at Yrene who was beaming at me, because I'd had to check. That it was real. That someone else had seen it too. That it was real. She was real.

And that was it. I knew I would live my whole life protecting her. My Princess that I would serve to the ends of the world and to whatever came next.

Aelin glanced up at us her sweat soaked hair framing her face, reaching for her child, then nursing her in her arms.

The couple looked more at ease, more completely content, more at peace, and more in love than I'd ever seen, Rowan practically glowing with pride for his little girl. "Luna Lyria Galathynius Whitethorn." The name sang almost like an unanswered prayer.

Luna.