chapter eleven

-----------------
"I bring the karma
You better
Run, run, run"
-----------------

Today was the day all the staff had been prepping for. One of the parties Karma randomly held would be taking place later tonight.

Some theorized he was only inclined to invite others into his house when messing with his help got boring. One could only scare the same person so many times before their reaction got predictably old. That's why he needed some new prey every once in a while. Well, that was the rumor at least.

After seeing his birth certificate, I was swayed to believe the theory. Usually I tried not to let other's opinions influence my own. A grain of salt at most. That wasn't the case this time around.

I sighed. Here I was, refuting my own ideals. How could I not? His parents were murderers. His parents, but not him.

You can't choose your parents. I knew that. I knew that all too well. Even then I prayed not to run into him.

"I want shot glasses filled with champagne and small sandwiches cut in the shape of hexagons!" I briefly heard the absurd instructions Karma was giving the kitchen staff. I cringed at his voice. Just knowing his proximity gave me goosebumps, but not the kind you get when you hear someone sing a beautiful song. The type that make your neck hair rise when the music in the horror film lulls, meaning a jump scare is inevitable.

I decided to distract myself with work. No need to worry about something that hasn't happened yet. Out of sight, out of mind.

The list of chores today was longer than usual. Including vacuuming and sweeping multiple rooms, dusting the furniture, polishing any wood, lighting candles to make sure the scent of lavender attacks anyone who enters and many other to-dos followed but I merely skimmed them.

I sighed again, beginning to join the prep. Tonight would be a long night. But at least we'd be getting our paychecks at the end of it.

-----------------

Everyone seems to be buzzing around us. Maids and housemen were either supposed to help the kitchen staff cater or get the job of taking the guests' garbage.

I wasn't how we were supposed to decide who did what, in the end it wasn't very difficult. Not for me anyway. Okuda placed a tray of small, hexagon shaped sandwhiches in my hands. She briefly explained to me how to hold it and the sent me on my way.

I made my way around, guests littered the living and dining room. Noisy chattered filled my ears as I offered strangers food. Most of them declined, but chuckled at the shape of them.

I came across a man with blue eyes with hair that was only slightly darker. "I'm alright, but why hexagons?"

I shrugged, the action nearly tipped the tray. I mentally scolded myself for being so unprofessional. "I'm not sure, I think Karma just thought of a random shape."

"You know some consider it rude to refer to others by their first name. Especially your boss," a stranger spoke up behind me. I turned a man that looked eerily similar to Karma. His hair was lighter by a few shades and his eyes were a serious purple.

"He told me I should," I answered, not enjoying the look he gave me.

"Still," he insisted. "He's your boss, treat him as though he is."