chapter sixteen

-----------------
"I will be your sword and shield
Your camouflage
And you
Will be
Mine"
-----------------

I didn't even know how I was feeing anymore.

Of course I was angry, but there was a jumble of betrayal and fear lumped in my throat. Despite this I managed to look Karma in the eyes as I spoke. "I quit."

If he was shocked, he hid it well. "Why? I thought we came to an agreement."

I wanted to kick the back of his knee out. His arrogant expression and casual posture alone made me want to vomit. But paired with his genuinely curious tone it was practically unbearable.

"That's what I thought, too," I huffed.

He rose a brow, despite responding almost immediately I knew he was choosing his words wisely. "What makes you say that?"

I was silent for a moment, contemplating on whether I really wanted to tell him what I knew. It didn't go well the last few times. "You don't trust me. I'm already paid off but you're still..." I trailed off, leaving my statement as is.

"What makes you think I don't trust you?"

His constant questions made me want to pull out my hair. "Those two idiots that keep following me. I know it's not a coincidence."

"Quitting won't stop them from following you," Karma informed me, not even feigning innocence. "At least now you'll be making money."

My heart seemed to stutter for a moment. His words were starting sound like he was tempting me into a sort of Stockholm Syndrome. Saying that while I was unhappy and arguably miserable, that at least there was some sort of bright side.

"Would you just leave me alone!" I took a large step back. "It's not my fault I happened to find anything out!"

"Keep your voice down," he instructed, though his voice was far from harsh.

I clenched my fists as I finally found it in myself to stand my ground. "Are you worried I'll snitch? Well maybe that's what I'll do if you don't tell those people to stop following me."

Immediately Karma's otherwise laidback attitude became defensive. His eyes darted to the door behind me. "We can figure this out." The general respectfulness in his voice before was replaced by one more threatening. "And we are, because you're not leaving until we do."

As he spoke he began moving towards the door. My nerves jumbled as I realized I had to make it there first. My legs stiffened as I tried to react, yet Karma made it to the door without a problem.

The only thing that could be heard in the silent room was the click of the lock.

All of this was too familiar, but I was determined to keep my emotions in check. I did my best to hide my shaking. The only thing I could think of to do was to start talking, to explain myself a bit better before all my fears became a reality.

"I didn't mean that," I muttered, "It's enough that I still live day to day, but now I have to deal with this shit." I narrowed me eyes. "Not that you would understand what it's like."

If I didn't think Karma was intimidating before, he definitely was now. His glare practically burned straight through me as he spoke. "And I'm just trying to protect a past that's not even mine. Not that you would understand."