chapter twelve

-----------------
"I'm not an RIP
I'm not another sick
Sad
Tragedy"
-----------------

Something was wrong with my paycheck. It was something I shouldn't complain about seeing as I got more than I earned, but I felt as through as I should say something. Integrity could be an annoying thing.

Did I really want to say something, though? It was possible that he did know what I saw in the basement. This could be a subtle way to buy my silence.

Then why not say that's what he's doing? Bringing this up with him would be better, at least then I'll have an answer.

Deciding things would be better if I asked a fellow employee first, I tapped Maehara on the shoulder. He turned around, bags forming under his eyes from the long night. "Yeah?"

"I think Karma's math was off on my paycheck," I told him, showing the outrageous bonus that was added.

At first glance it may have seemed like I had worked overtime for many nights. However, that wasn't the case and everyone I worked with should know that. Everything I actually earned should be on par with what all the other maids and housemen earned.

"He does that for everyone's first paycheck," Maehara shrugged off, a yawn escaping his mouth. "One thing you learn pretty quick is Karma doesn't get math wrong."

"But two hundred dollars is a lot to add onto someone's pay," I continued.

His sleepy eyes widened for a moment. "Two hundred dollars? Everyone else's bonus was around seventy five dollars."

Those were the words that had sent my panic deeper. There was absolutely no reason Karma should've put that much extra money onto my pay. It was concerning, especially after learning mistakes were rare when it came to math.

I was at a loss for words, focusing more on my concerns than a response. "That's... weird. Should I ask?"

"I would." Maehara shrugged, "but not because it's a big deal. Just from curiosity."

I nodded, a blank stare finding the paycheck was gripped in my hand. "Yeah, but part of me just wants to take the win and call it a night."

Maehara merely shrugged again. I felt as though I should end the conversation, it looked as though all his remaining energy was going into talking to me. "Calling it a night sounds good, just talk to him tomorrow."

I made a snap decision, dwelling on things would only make my options seem impossible. "I'll talk to him tonight, you should head home. You seem pretty tired."

After saying the dumb observation, I was expecting a snappy, even sarcastic response along the lines of yeah, no shit I'm tired. Instead Maehara nodded his head, a small smile forced its way onto his face. "Yeah, I really am. Good luck then," he said as he walked off.

"Bye," I dismissed. After he left, a weight seemed to form on my chest as I realized what I had just said.

I didn't want to talk to Karma, I could barely look him in the eye.

I took a deep breath, bitching out now wouldn't do me any good. All I had to do was just stand up straight and act like I knew nothing. It wasn't the most difficult thing to do, not with most people at least. Karma seemed to have the ability to look straight through people.

To be honest, I didn't even know where he was at the moment. The voice behind me indicated I wouldn't have to look very hard.

Karma's voice echoed around the otherwise silent room. He seemed to be trying to make conversation with otherwise exhausted employees.

I just didn't think I'd be one of them.

"Hey, (F/N)," he greeted from behind me. Just hearing his voice made my heart rate spike. The image of the crisp white paper that sat in the basement came back to my mind.

"Oh, hey," I said, "I have a question about my paycheck," I began slowly, testing the waters to see if he was, in fact, trying to pay me off.

"You don't need to worry," Karma told me, "Just a little extra, everyone gets it for their first paycheck."

"That's what Maehara said," I replied, "But-"

"Don't go complaining about extra money," he said, his vagueness did nothing to ease my racing mind.

It took me a moment to respond, I was exhausted and worried which slowed down my thoughts. "I'm not complaining, I was just curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat," he reminded. The expression was merely that, an expression. But knowing what he was capable of, or at least what his parents were capable of, I felt as though something else might have killed the cat.

I took a breath the ease my racing heart. Karma could see right through anyone, I was no exception. "But satisfaction brought it back," I finished, I couldn't look him in the eye, I could hardly glance in his direction. I knew he noticed, why he wasn't saying anything was beyond my understanding, though.

"That's just false hope," he shrugged off. Each word he said only put me more on edge, I was fully aware that I wasn't the only one taking note.

I gulped, "So are a lot of things."

The look on Karma's face was questioning. "What's with the face?"

"It's my face..." I replied, trying to ward of my exhaustion for a few more minutes.

"We both know that's not what I meant." His eyebrow rose, asking the question his voice didn't. Why I was really acting so weird.

I yawned, "I'm just tired."

"I don't buy it," Karma confronted, "But we'll talk about this at a time where you can't make excuses."

I nodded, "Why not." I wasn't sure why I was agreeing to anything. I didn't want to speak to him again. I wanted answers, I wanted to know the full story.

I wanted to go back into that basement.

I know this was a shorter chapter but thanks for waiting anyway. It's actually a lot of fun to write this, though.

I hope you all had fun reading it, too.

Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!