結果 - results

"I'm sorry."

Those are words I have heard all my life it seems. I've kind of grown to hate them. When my mother passed, people would line up to give me their condolences.

'My prayers are with you.'

'I wish you the best.'

'I'm sorry.'

Who actually wants to hear that? As a seven year old child, standing over her mother's grave, who wants to hear that you're 'sorry'. Do people actually think that eases the burning sensation in your chest? The ache in your bones?

Those two little words easily became my most hated phrase over the course of my eighteen years on this godforsaken planet.

These are also two words I did not expect to hear from Shoto Todoroki.

"You failed?"

"Yes, but I wanted you to know it wasn't because of your support equipment but my lack of cooperation. Everything you made me worked magnificently and it's my fault I didn't showcase it properly." My brother bowed his head, "I'm sorry for disappointing you." I blinked at his statement. Disappointing me? My lips curved into a smile as I clamped my hand over my mouth to stifle a laugh. Shoto's head perked up, his eyebrows furrowing together of confusion. "You're...laughing?"

"Of course I'm laughing, dumbie!" I burst out into a fit of ugly chuckles as Shoto stared at me uncomfortably.

"But I failed you."

"You didn't fail me, Shoto." I clarified, my laughter easing up as I wiped the corners of my eyes. "I'm proud of you." I beamed, placing an open palm atop his head and ruffling his dual colored hair together. A slight blush spread across both our cheeks as he straightened his posture out and I cleared my throat. "It takes a lot of courage to take that exam in the first place, Shoto. Besides, I'm sure you'll be able to showcase my support tech when you become the number one hero, right?" Shoto's eyes widened, his lips parting slightly, gaping at my bold words.

"Yeah." He nodded, a genuine smile spreading across his face.

"Everyone take your seats." Shota boomed as the bell sounded for class to begin. I watched as the students scurried to their assigned desks, their idle chatter being cut short as Shota mumbled on about today's lesson.

I tilted my head to the side, admiring him for a second as he pointed to the board behind him, talking about 'How to deal with a hysterical victim and what steps to take'. His toned body was hidden in that baggy hero outfit, but I wouldn't swap it out for anything else. The way his body leaned as he shoved his hands in his pockets, or the way his fingers hooked into the capture weapon around his neck as he spoke. No one this handsome should be able to walk this earth. It's unfair to the gods and goddesses.

I sighed, leaning down and pulling out my usual reading material, 'The Human Anatomy: Volume 3'. I've managed to steal this book from UA's own school nurse, Recovery Girl, much to my dismay she did not own the other fifteen volumes. Also unfortunate, I've read it four times now and found out that the human foot contains fifty-two bones but nothing much about how to fix nerve damage if you're crippled and desperate. I huffed out of annoyance, picking out a chapter on blood and how it helps our body function on a daily basis, the words slightly blurring and making my head hurt.