走る - run

There are things you should and shouldn't do in the lifetime you are given.

Like you should eat licorice when watching a good movie, and brush your teeth in the morning after eating said licorice.

And like how you shouldn't poke a sleeping bear or stick your hand into an alligator's mouth and expect not to get bitten.

Because even the most docile animals can be lethal if you force them into a corner where they have nothing else to lose.

And with my back against the wall, desperately grasping onto the only lead I have, I understand how they feel.

I will do anything.

I will break anyone to find out what I need to.

To uncover who killed my mother.

"Tell me the truth!" I shouted, swiping forward, sending trinkets and framed photographs of happier times crashing into the ground. I slammed my hands atop my fathers desk. His turquoise colored eyes flickered angrily over the fallen items before flitting back over to me with a shake of his head.

"(Y/n), stop this right now." He ordered, only infuriating me more. I looked around the room hastily, my gaze finding a cup filled with pens in the corner of his cherry wooden desk. I snatched the cup upwards, holding it above my head briefly before chucking it at his smug face. His eyes widened as he tilted his head only slightly, barely dodging my throw as the pens and pencils clattered at his feet. "What the fuck has gotten into you?" He snapped, lurching forward and grabbing me by the collar of my shirt. I didn't back down, I couldn't. The rage pulsating through me was overtaking my fear.

"How could let me believe I killed her for so many years!" I yelled, my arms shaking, my fingers trembling as he bawled my shirt up in his fist. "What kind of father are you?!" My hands wrapped around his hold on me, pushing him away so he stumbled backwards.

"I had to do it!" He said, "To protect you!"

Bullshit.

"Bullshit!" My thoughts shifting into words faster than I could process. "Tell me-." I began, angry tears burning the edges of my eyes. I slammed an open palm against my own chest, trying to force myself to keep going. Don't break here. You can't break here. "Tell me who killed my mother." I sternly said, gritting my teeth as I glared back at the flame hero whose nose had scrunched up in anger? No, the emotion flashing through him wasn't rage. It was something softer, something more painful.  His eyebrows furrowed together as he let out a deep sigh, his lips turning down into a deep frown.

"(Y/n), the path you are going down is one I chose for a very long time." He mumbled, glancing away and averting his eyes to the window behind him. "There is nothing but hatred and anger ahead of you." He whispered, staring off into the distance as streams of sunlight filtered through his cream colored curtains.

"You've never worried about my well being before," I hissed, "why start now?" My fathers shoulders stiffened at my words, almost like what I said had physically struck him. He slowly turned to face me. The flames that were usually roaring and surrounding his face had dimmed down, flickering too gently and kindling against his pale skin. This was the most bare I had ever seen him in my life. Whatever he didn't want to tell me, must've been some pretty big stuff. So big, it almost scared me. If whoever killed my mother has my father this terrified of them, what kind of people are they?

"I will not tell you." He said finally, "For your own good." My breath hitched in my throat and before I knew it, I was moving on autopilot. I lifted my wrist to my mouth,