15. Childhood Sweethearts

Amber's P.O.V.:

Right now mom and I are in the salon getting our nails done. It's my day off and I wanted to pamper myself and also because mom wants me to accompany her to her friend's anniversary party. Last night mom flew down to London and surprised me. She came here to see me and also to attend her old friend's anniversary. Dad couldn't come along because he was busy with the restaurant.

"Amber, get a facial as well. I also want your hair to be styled elegantly. For how long are you going to be like a tomboy? You need to learn some of the lady-like habits." mom said in a taunting tone.

"Mom, it's your friend's anniversary and not my wedding." I said, rolling my eyes.

"All my high school friends are gonna be there. I want them to see how beautiful my daughter is. And you never know, I can even find a suitable son-in-law there." she said, dreamily.

"Mom, stop day dreaming. And don't you even dare to play a match maker there. I am going there just to accompany you and not to find myself a groom." I said as I closed my eyes for the parlor lady to place the cucumber slices over my eye lids.

****

"Please don't over do the make up okay?" I said to the parlour after the facial was done.

"Don't listen to her. Please do an elegant makeup to match her gown." my mom interrupted.

The parlour lady looked at me in pity. I made a puppy face and she started doing the makeup. After about half an hour, mom and I were ready into our outfits. I looked at myself in the long mirror in front of me.

"Mom, I look so barbie-ish!" I said looking at myself.

"Shut up, Amber! You look very beautiful and sexy. Everyone's eyes are going to be on you tonight." she said, looking at me in adoration.

"Thanks, mom!" I said, smiling.

"Oh, I can't wait for tonight's party. I wonder how many men are going to lose their heart. I hope I find a son-in-law tonight." she said, excitedly.

"Mom!" I warned. She ignored me and pulled me by my hand towards the cab that was waiting outside the salon for us.

*****

We reached the venue at around 9 pm.

As soon as we entered the venue, the ladies of around my mom's age kept coming and hugging mom one after the other. My mom's friends were loud like my mom. No wonder they were friends when they were in their high school. They not only hugged my mom but also managed to crush my bones by pulling me with them in their group hug. I am never gonna accompany my mother to her parties again.

We finally excused ourselves from them and went to greet and give gift to the hosts of the evening. They were one of the richest people of the town. After we were done greeting, we walked towards the table where a group of ladies were busy gossiping. Apparently, they are mom's best friends. As soon as we joined them, mom started giving her inputs into their never ending gossips.