one ━━ anthem of the brokenhearted

CHAPTER ONE: anthem of the brokenhearted

━━━━━━━━

❛ death surrounds 𝙝𝙚𝙧 ❜

     NO ONE STOPS to think about how a child younger than the age of ten feels about going to funerals. People assume that they are lucky because they don't understand what is happening and merely stand there as people around them cry and hold onto their loved ones. What they don't realize is that being an innocent minded child at a funeral, dressed in all black, staring at a casket that holds a dead body, it the worst possible place to be. They're so young and yet they are forced to stare death in the face. They are too young to understand why everyone is so upset. They are too young to grieve. Some may consider that a good thing, envying them because of it. But those kids will not remember the person who passed away, they won't be able to recall any memories they had of them. To them, the person will simply no exist. They'll forget. And in times where the child faces the loss of one or both of their parents, not remembering is the worst torture of all.

     Though they do not have to go through mourning or be forced to have those days when they miss the person dearly, they still have to sit through listening to people tell stories about them, reminiscing about the good times while they force a smile and nod. Because they cannot remember the person at all. At best they can recall what they look like or maybe they can't at all. But having to hear family members and friends talk about how much they miss them and wish they were there beside them, it's torture for the child who is now a teenager or an adult. Because they cannot share the same emotions, for they cannot remember. And most likely they'll want to remember, they'll wish they had moments with the deceased they could fondly think back on. But they don't. They are stuck with being compared to them or hearing happy tales.