four ━━ ashes, ashes, we all fall down

CHAPTER FOUR: ashes, ashes, we all fall down

━━━━━━━━

❛ the wayne family is broken ❜

     WHEN ADELAIDE WAS merely a small child living inside a home that kept her safe from the horrors that was the Gotham streets past midnight, she would shut her blinds and her curtains and curl up in bed once the sun set, afraid that the person who murdered her parents would come back to finish the job by slitting her throat. or worse. Florence would keep her close, sitting on the couch with her while they watched movies that brought tears to her grandmother's eyes. They'd eat popcorn, smiling and laughing at the screen that displayed silly images. But those times had long since past. Now, she waltzed across rooftops while the sounds of sirens blared in the distance. She wasn't afraid of the criminals that lurked and she was no longer a child who was fearful of the dark.

     Now she thrived under the moonlight, enjoying the rush it gave her as she jumped to one building to the next, her suit moving with her which allowed her to maneuver swiftly. Talia had thought it would be a brilliant idea if she wore a suit that mocked Batman's. Ra's had simply waved his hand, looking utterly bored and slightly disappointed in the idea as he stated that the Dark Knight should never be mocked. And yet there she was, covered in black armor plates, light grey hues following her curves. She wore a cowl similar to his, only the "ears" at the top were shorter and had sharper points. She didn't have a utility belt, but she did have knives hidden in certain areas of her person, as well as a katana strapped to her back.

     As she landed on the roof of a department store she had never heard of, her mind brought up an image of Damian. Adelaide swore lowly, trying desperately to stop thinking about. For hours after she left the party, she could not stop thinking about how she had just left without saying goodbye, and how he had seemed to go back to his old ways, seeing as he called her by her last name, a habit she thought had died out. Alas, she was wrong and now here she was, unable to focus on her mission without conjuring up his face.