three ━━ the demon who loved an angel

CHAPTER THREE: the demon who loved an angel

━━━━━━━━

❛ she wants, he 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙨 ❜

     BEING BACK IN Gotham felt utterly strange. Adelaide had a difficult time wrapping her head around the fact that she was back in the same place she left only a few years ago, trading her normal life for one of danger and violence. But now that she was back, she picked up on things she never would have before, such as the way the sky always seemed more cloudy in the city, almost as if the city was alive and choosing to be a not so happy place. There were other minor aspects such as the fact that the alleyways looked more menacing and uninviting than ever and how when she stepped out of the private jet she arrived in, she could immediately sense the greed and corruption that leaked into every street corner gutter and every drop of water the people consumed.

     Adelaide nearly choked on it. Thankfully, once she arrived at the penthouse the league had given her to stay at, she felt like she could finally breathe. But the air quality was significantly less than the air in Antillia. Perhaps it was because the island was surrounded by clean, pure water. Or perhaps it was because Gotham reeked of crime. She had to take a car to the penthouse from the airport and while they passed through the streets, she stared out her window at the place she abandoned and felt no guilt.

     She tossed her key carelessly onto the counter, running a hand through her slightly messy hair. The flight had been long and tiresome. All she wished to do was collapse on the bed that looked extremely inviting and fall asleep. But as she made her way to the bedroom, ignoring the staff that entered the penthouse with her luggage, her phone buzzed in her back pant pocket, making her groan in irritation.