Chapter 2

"What?" My heart must have skipped a million beats as my jaw fell open. He was serious, the lack of emotion in his eyes explained it all.
"What do you mean she's dead?" No no no this can't be happening...first mom, now grandma
"It was a sea reck, they found her body washed up in coastal beach" I could barely hear him as he sat down and put his shaky hand over his forehead. I couldn't seem to form coherent words, I didn't know what to say. A single tear drop fell off my face as I stared at dad. He began breaking down as I sat next to him and grabbed his hand, trying to comfort him and stay strong myself. He lost two of the most important women in his life this past year, his wife and mother. All because of the same thing.
"I love you Loni" his words cracked as he squeezed my hand tighter.
"Just please stay off the waters, okay?" He said, I furrowed my eye brows and nodded, wiping my tears away. He was terrified to loose me in that ocean, and to be quite honest, so was I.
"What's going on?" Keeth said as he walked in the door with one of his dickhead friends, Aiden. Me and Aiden had some um, I guess you could say awkward chemistry. I've known him for a good couple years and to make a long story short, we "kinda" dated but then I found out he had a girlfriend which made me look like a fool, and he fucked us both over. So since then we haven't really spoken. Keeth knows NOTHING about that, and I plan to keep it that way because they're "buddies", and he's lost too many people in his life. He doesn't need to know about his sister and friend sleeping together.

"Grandmas gone Keeth" I looked down into my lap, not sure of how he was going to respond. After a few seconds of silence I looked up at him. His breathing was heavy as he had the same confused expression I did. I stood up and walked over to him, grabbing his hand.
"She was found on coastal beach-" I said, only to be cut off. He shook his head and pulled his hand away from me
"I don't wanna hear it Loni" tears were forming in his eyes as he grabbed his car keys out of his pocket and walked back through the door, Aiden following behind.

The next couple weeks were slow, we had the funeral, and said our last goodbyes. School was starting in a couple days and I couldn't bother to leave my bed.
"Loni I know you're in there, come on please open the door" melody said. She's been nagging for me to let her in for the past hour. I didn't have the motive or energy to face anyone at the mo-
"Loni come on" announce rang in her voice as I groaned to myself and unlocked the door.
"Finally!" She said as she pulled me into a hug. She was holding homemade cupcakes in one hand and iced coffee in the other.
"Annie told me that trying to get you to leave your room probably wouldn't work, so I brought you these." She handed me a clear plastic bag and the cup. I gave her a light smile and walked back over to my bed. I placed the food on my bedside table and sat down. She let out a low sigh and walked over to me, waiting for me to say something
"I'm okay melody, I swear" she huffed and crossed her arms over her chest "Now that might be one of the biggest lies you've ever told" she let out a small laugh
"Don't be mad at me" she said. I looked up to her confused, whenever she said those five words it usually meant I was going to be involved in something I didn't want to be in
"Tradition night is coming up! You know? Every year we celebrate the last couple days of summer. And instead of doing it by the docks like normal, I thought we could do it in Annie's backyard. She's completely fine with it and-"
"Yeah but why would I be mad at you?" I cut her off.
"I invited Luke" she scrunched her face up and waited for me to lash out.
"Why the hell would you invite him melody?" I furrowed my eyes brows and shook my head
"Look, Annie told me there was awkward tension between you guys and I thought this might help...plus he gone to every single one of our get together". Her words rung in my head as I tried my best to not get mad at her. Everyone always thought that me and him were the 'perfect' couple, when in reality he's just another dickhead.
"Who's all coming?" I sighed and looked away from her.
"Keeth, Aiden, Chloe, Annie obviously, Grayson and Luke. Including us" she said.
"Please don't ditch on us we really want you to be there and I guess if you really wanted me too I could tell Luke not to come" she nervously held her hands together as she waited for me to speak.
"I'll go, but don't expect me and Luke to get back together" I said as I got up and walked into my bathroom. The whole Luke situation was a long a dreadful story. We haven't talked in the past couple months due to it. And I wasn't prepared to put up with whatever bullshit sorry excuse he had to offer.
"So you and Grayson?" I asked her as she sat on the side of my bed
"We're okay...we text and stuff" she looked down, kind of nervous
"You guys haven't met up since last time?" I said.
"No I've been busy, and your grandma and some of my own family stuff" she shrugged her shoulders. I nodded and just stared into the mirror. A million thoughts going through my head

It was now midnight and I couldn't stop replaying mine and Luke's last fight in my head. He was drunk and lashed out on me, swearing and yelling on the top of his lungs. The scar I got from his glass cup still remained pretty vibrant on my left arm. He didn't throw the cup at me, but instead the ground. It shattered and flew everywhere. And the worst part was, is that he just laid down on his bed afterwards and fell asleep as if none of that just happened. So that was the night I ended it between me and him. Most of the time our fights meant nothing but once he started coming home drunk or even with another woman I would get pissed off. He claimed he never did anything with the strippers and they were just "helping him home" but I never bought that excuse. Don't get me wrong, Luke was always sweet and caring most of the time. And then it seemed like the alcohol took over. No one knew what happened between me and him, considering I just said "Things didn't work out". But that's all besides the point because I was going to a fucking party with him.

The next couple days past and now I was standing in front of my mirror deciding what bikini to wear. I wasn't planning on going swimming but Annie insisted I wore one. So I put on a black set and some jean shorts. Being mentally prepared was a understatement. It was around 5pm as me and Keeth walked into Annie's backyard. All eyes fell on us as her and melody waved for me to come sit with them. But there he was, he looked desperate to talk to me as a kept my head low.
"Well now the party can start!" Melody screeched as she grabbed some beer.
"To senior year" Everyone repeated as we all cheered to it. As time passed, melody was hanging around Grayson while Annie was off talking to Chloe. Keeth and Aiden were doing some stupid shit while I sat by my self on a poor chair. Luke wasn't anywhere to be seen and honestly, I wished he just went home.
"Hey" god damnit I spoke too soon. Luke sat next to me on the other chair, hands in his lap as he hung his head low. I could smell the alcohol off of his breath as he let out a low sigh.
"You're not gonna say anything?" He said
"I don't have anything to say to you" I stared at the pool, completely ignoring him as I watched everyone else laugh their asses off.
"Look Loni, I'm sorry for what I did. It won't happen again" he stared at me as I shook my head and laughed.
"That must have been like the third time you've used that excuse Luke" I laughed again and stood up. Before I could walk away from his disgusting ass he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.
"Please Loni I cant loose you, I won't-"
"You won't what? Be able to pay for your own shit?" That was the sad truth of this relationship. Even though he claimed he loved me, it felt like I was just a wallet to him.
He scrunched his eyebrows and shook his head. I was right, all he wanted me for was fucking money. After not receiving a response I laughed once again and pulled my wrist away from him. I couldn't believe that I've waisted two years with that son of a bitch for nothing. I pushed opened Annie's backyard gate and stormed out of it, not caring if anyone seen. I couldn't stand being in the same area as him. We spent so much time together, made so many memories, took so many trips for nothing. I always pushed away the feeling of being used because I loved him. I loved him so fucking much.
"Loni!"
I heard someone scream my name from behind, I couldn't quite pinpoint who. I just kept walking, my mind buzzing with thoughts. It was probably that dickhead following me, but I didn't care. I wouldn't put up with his hit anymore.
"Are you okay?" He said out of breath as he ran up to me, gripping my shoulder. It was Grayson, to be honest he was the last person I thought would chase after me. I shook my head and kept walking, but he followed right by my side.
"I seen you leave, it's not safe out here by your self" he said. "I could give two fucks right now if I got killed". I fired back, he sighed and put his hands back on my arms to stop me from walking as he stood in front.
"Don't say that, tell me what happened" he looked down at me while I didn't dare to make eye contact with him.
"Why do you care? It's not important just get back to the party Grayson" I began walking away once again.
"Let me at least give you a ride home, please" he said as he continued to walk with me. I stayed silent and kept walking, determined to get him to leave me.
"Fine, we'll walk then" me eyes shot over towards him, the walk was at least 20 minutes.
"No you don't have to walk with me I'll be fine".
"A little bit of company cant be bad, as long as it's not from the guy you were with huh?" He stared at me with his arms crossed
"Plus I wouldn't trust myself to leave you out here alone at night" he spoke again.
"You don't know anything about him." I said, referring to his first statement
"No, but I know he's a dickhead" I felt his intense stare, why the fuck did he care? I expected maybe melody or Annie or even KEETH to possibly come find me. But not him, not Grayson.
"Just fucking leave me alone" I rolled my eyes and walked faster, leaving him behind me