4.0 love is a drug

Martin handed back the exams to his students

Martin handed back the exams to his students.  He congratulated Nadia with her 10/10 grade on her exam that Lu was supposed to get.
Bella flashed Martin a smile as she received her paper, 9.0. He congratulated the young girl before moving on to Ander. She glanced over at Ander's exam and an amused smile appeared on her face.
"You'd think you'd be at the top of the class since your mom's the principal," joked Bella to the boy beside her, who rolled his eyes.
"Yeah she thinks so too," he sighed, making Bella give him a sympathetic smile.
"This exam deserves a ten," Lu spoke up bitterly as Martin handed out the graded exams to the students that sat behind her.
"Oh here we go," Carla whispered to Polo as she played with her hair. Carla and Lu were still in a fight when Carla chose a night with Christian and Polo over a night with her. Bella shifted in her seat not prepared for Lu's possible tantrum. Everyone who wasn't new to school knows what Lu wants Lu gets, and she's definitely going to cause a scene.
"Well, so did your classmate's, and you know we grade on a curve. So I'm sorry," Martin explained as he finished handing out exams.
"Excuse me, on a what?" asked Nadia as he was about to pass her and go up to the front.
"Haven't they explained this to you? Let me show you, look," Martin said walking up to the front of class to show the new students what it meant. "This curve maps human intelligence. On one end is a minority with low intellectual ability. On the other, is another minority... which is extremely intelligent. And the majority falls here in the middle. Let's assume this class is a sample of society. There is someone with a ten and someone with a zero. The rest is distributed here. There can never be two tens or two zeros."
"So the grades are assigned before the exam?" Nadia questioned.
"That's right, if you're in the lower 20%, you fail even if you did well."
"Damn, that's why I always flunk!" complained Christian.
"Isn't that about unfair?" Samuel asked.
"Guys, this prepares you for life. Out there, if you're in the lowest 20%, you don't get anything. And on the podium, there can't be two people," Martin explained. Lu angrily raised her hand as the bell rang. "If you have any complaints come to my office hours."
Bella got up with the rest of the class to leave, but quickly caught up to Lu.
"Don't do anything stupid," Bella advised the older girl as she passed her, Ander in tow.
"Lu's really mad," Ander noted glancing back at the fuming girl.
"Yeah I told her not to do anything stupid, but you know how Lu is," Bella shrugged as they stopped by her locker. "How's your hand?"
"Unfortunately for me, better," he sighed moving it around with ease.
"Just pretend it isn't. It should get you another week off, at least," Bella suggested to the tennis player.
"Yeah that could work," he nodded.
"Do you wanna be my date for party?" Bella asked closing the locker.
"Hmm, I don't know. I don't want another broken hand if I have to be your knight in shining armor," he teased.
"Oh knight in shining armor, right," she nodded sarcastically, "you got your ass beat."
"Okay for that I'm not going with you," Ander frowned.
"I'm kidding, please," she pouted. Ander groaned knowing he couldn't resist that face.
"Okay," he agreed making Bella smile.

Bella lazily lounged in the living room, scrolling through her phone, she had finished some of her homework and needed a break. Polo had ended up joining her, sharing a snack with her.
"Do you have a date?" he asked, but he already knew the answer. She always went with the same person every time.
"Really?" she asked raising a brow at his stupid question. Polo shrugged.
"I don't know! Maybe you guys weren't gonna go together!"
"Why? Did he say something?" she asked while grabbing a grape from the bowl.
"No, but do you think there could be something there? Between you two?" Polo asked, trying his best to be casual with question. It's not that he really wanted his sister to date but he wanted his best friend to be happy.  If she didn't like him maybe he could move on, it was better than letting him sit there...waiting.
"What do you mean?"
"He means that Ander takes you to every event there is," their mother, Begoña, answered taking a seat across from the two.
"He's just always there....for you," Polo added in.