Chapter 1

Mom was making dinner as she chattered with dad who was perched against the counter-top, the usual scene in my household. They were talking about our neighbors when I dragged my soaked self into the kitchen leaving a trail of water on the floor. I hadn't realized how cold it was outside until I entered the warm sanctity of my home. 

The chattering of my teeth must have indicated my parents of my arrival and I was immediately met with the disapproving glare of my mother which was tinged with worry seeing how I currently resembled a popsicle. I slowly walked to the bathroom, afraid to make an even bigger mess and peeled the soggy clothes off of me. After changing into warm, comfortable clothes, I made my way to the living room and saw a steaming cup of hot chocolate kept on the coffee table.

I loved my parents, I thought as they sat beside me on the couch. The show 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' was playing in the background, a constant when I had my off days. I could feel the warmth radiating off of my parents and I let out a small hum of delight. 

My parents never hovered. They would just sit beside me in silence, providing me comfort and then they would wait for me to open up about whatever was bothering me. I really loved them, I thought again, closing my eyes.

I woke up to an eerily quiet house, still on the couch, my back groaning in protest at how uncomfortable the position was. I half- smiled at the blanket which was draped around me and took my own time getting off. It was half past six and I couldn't wait to get back into bed. It was a sin to be up before nine on a Sunday. 

Rays of sunlight were streaming through the partially open blinds of my navy walled bedroom and I sighed. After about an hour of tossing and turning, I decided that maybe going for a run would elate my mood and I didn't know why I chose that either. I hated running with a passion. If I was being chased by a murderer, I would probably happily give myself up if it meant that I didn't have to run. 

So after jogging for five whole minutes, I strolled leisurely to the lake nearby taking in the calmness when I was forcefully shoved against the asphalt and I could feel my body writhe in pain. The other person, who was currently on top of me, didnt seem to be in a better position either. The man, or whom I assumed to be a man given by the physique, rolled off and grunted in discomfort.

I slowly turned to lie on my back, looking at the azure sky when I could feel the man beside me let out a small laugh and it was the most contagious thing I had come across. Soon, we were having a full blown laughter spell and my mood was considerably better.

"I'm so sorry for ramming into you. I was skating and lost my balance." 

"Its fine.' I grimaced as I stood up, brushing the loose gravel off of my shirt and saw the other man do the same as he tried to balance himself on his skates. I considered helping him but he seemed to be doing fine so I just stood there taking in the sight before me. It was his eyes that caught my attention, the first feature I usually look at when I see people, and I was blown away. To say they were ethereal was an understatement. One eye was lush green, the kind of green you would  expect to see in the densest of  forests whereas the other eye, in pure contrast was hazel and I couldn't help but stare in awe.  

His gaze on me however was that of panic. It was only then that I realized that I had nearly split my lip and was bleeding all over the place. He handed me his handkerchief and I pressed it against the wound. 

"Its a great day, isn't it?" I spoke, trying to make conversation with the clearly uncomfortable man.

"You have an odd definition of a great day. I hope getting rammed into isn't a daily ritual." He gave a small smile as he removed the skates, sighing in relief when they were off. I smiled back.

"I'm Raven. I moved here yesterday."

Raven held out his hand and I grasped it.

"I'm Sebastian. I moved here seven years ago." He raised his eyebrows in response to what could be the most pathetic thing I had uttered since I met him.

"It was nice meeting you Sebastian." 

"You too."