𝖳𝖧𝖤 𝖶𝖨𝖫𝖳𝖨𝖭𝖦 𝖫𝖮𝖳𝖴𝖲

𝖠𝖱𝖢 𝖮𝖭𝖤

" 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖶𝗂𝗅𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖫𝗈𝗍𝗎𝗌"

𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍 two

ነየልርቿ ጌዪቿልጕ

"Can you please just stop? Sect Leader Jiang, I am no longer a child. I am the sect leader of my Lanling Jin sect, your equal, and you treating me like a child is inappropriate!"

Jin Ling's had said. He didn't scream, or whined as he used to do, and instead, spoke in a even tone, but sharp with his anger. He kept his calm, spoke with respect and remembering each other's status, and spoke nothing but truth.

He had proven himself to not only Jiang Cheng, but to everyone in the yearly Cultivation Great Matters meeting that he was the Lanling Jin Sect Leader.

"I am no longer a child. I don't need you anymore so please, just leave me alone."

Jiang Cheng had been surprised at his nephew's outburst, but he had not been angry (how could he when his proud nephew had begged him?). He was proud that Jin Ling had stood up for himself, and proven his worth and capability as a Sect Leader to the Cultivation World.

That boy had been spoiled rotten not just by Jin Guangyao, but also by Jiang Cheng. He was not blind to that fact. He had been hard on Jin Ling, but he had also coddled him.

Jiang Cheng knew that he was stunting his neohew's growth knowingly, on purpose, even, but he couldn't help it. Other than Yunmeng Jiang, all he had left was Jin Ling.

He was his sister's son.

The room was silent. Jin Ling stood before him, firm and strong. His words sharp and cutting. But his eyes looked at him with plea. Jiang Cheng was silent for a few moments, his gaze sharp on his nephew. To Jin Ling's credit, he didn't flinch.

The only one left that Jiang Cheng called family. How could he not protect him so fiercely, when that arrogant foolish boy, spoiled rotten by his uncles, was just a sad, lonely who had his mother's gentle soul and her eyes?

"So you say," he drawled, eyes cold "very well then. Consider yourself independent, and acknowledged, Sect Leader Jin."

The world was cruel and harsh to the weak. Cruel like the infertile lands of Yunmeng, the cutting winds in Qinghe's mountains, the chilling thick mists of Gusu, the deceptive elaborative illusion in Lanling, and the barren land of nothing but ashes of the 'Great Sun' that had burned everything including itself. Life was cruel, especially to kind, gentle souls like his nephew. It had broken Jiang Cheng.

He looks at the Chief Cultivator, Nie Huaisang who cowered at him, and said "the meeting is done, yes? Then I'll head back to Yunmeng then."

Who's to say it wouldn't try, and succeed shattering Jin Ling?

"Jin Rulan," he turned around to leave, pausing for a moment "try not to be foolish, because I won't be there to clean your mess anymore."

But Jin Ling— or rather, Jin Rulan, was already twenty-one of age, and had been the Lanling Jin Sect Leader for years. He is a full grown man now, and spoke nothing but the truth— he no longer needed Jiang Cheng to look after him anymore.

He can look after himself now.

He takes his leave, summoning this disciples to his side immediately. Upon his exit, his heightened sense of hearing catches the murmurs of the room. He knows what the others say. They mock his name, call him cold, cruel and a foolish arrogant man who looked down on Sect Leader Jin. He cared not.

Besides, unlike in the past, his nephew had friends. Trustworthy Lans (nevermind the fact one of them was born a Wen-dog). Other than Jiang Cheng, there are others who wants his nephew to be happy and safe. And while he didn't trust Wei Wuxian to protect his nephew, he could trust on the Ghost General to sacrifice himself to  save his nephew.

Before he had left, Jiang Cheng saw how his nephew sighed in relief, and grinned at his Lan friends who stood beside him. Behind him, was Wei Wuxian chattering something, with his cutsleeve spouse Lan Wangji at his side. On his way out, Wen Ning greeted him in which he had ignored.

Jiang Cheng saw it all and though he liked none of them, he knew then that A-Ling will be fine without him.

His nephew will never be broken like how Jiang Cheng is, and for that, he thanked the Heavens and the Gods he cursed for their mercy.

ነየልርቿ ጌዪቿልጕ

Jiang Cheng left that day, seemingly cold and uncaring of his nephew's declaration if independence. However, despite his callous words, his sharp eyes and leaving without another word, he jad mever been more proud of Jin Ling than the moment he had stood up for himself, and spoke for himself against Jiang Cheng. However, as much as he tried to deny it, the truth was clear as the sunny skies of Yunmeng in summer that no matter how proud he felt, everything doesn't seem all too well.

Standing far and across from his, was a young man clad in gold. He was not alone, and laughed loudly among his companions.

Kind, warm brown eyes (his Ah Jie's eyes) met his, and the smile on that young man in gold, fell.

Jiang Cheng gave him not a smile, a grin, or anything warm and soft. He said nothing and did nothing— except a nod. The smile returned. Those kind, warm brown eyes lightened up and Jiang Cheng  couldn't help but see his sister looking at him instead of his nephew.

The sun starts to go down, the air growing cold as the day starts to end, and Jin Ling waves farewell at him.

Jiang Cheng grew colder, and his mood becoming somber as he watches Jin Ling turn, and walk away from him.

Looking forwards, and never looking back.

His chest felt stifled, his throat tight and his jaw clenched. His fingers twitched, Zidian cracking ever so slightly in response to his feelings. He clenched his fist. He breathes, and sighs, unclenching his jaw and loosening his curled fists.

Clearing his voice, he barked an order at his disciples to start moving.

However, his chest still felt heavy and stifled, and he was growing colder. So with one last look at the young man clad in gold, who had once been a soft, gentle child in his care, and forced himself to turn around.

Jiang Cheng walks away.

ነየልርቿ ጌዪቿልጕ