↳ NINE

NINE !
009. no more mr tough guy

THE BYRNE HOUSEHOLD | 1977

—"THANK FUCK!" Margot and Hyde were awoken amidst a mess of blankets on her games room couch by this exasperated exclamation from Scott, "I thought I'd be coming in here to find you and Kelso, but you pair have finally gotten your shit together I ...

—"THANK FUCK!" Margot and Hyde were awoken amidst a mess of blankets on her games room couch by this exasperated exclamation from Scott, "I thought I'd be coming in here to find you and Kelso, but you pair have finally gotten your shit together I guess."

Margot blushed crimson at her brother's words, scrambling to sit up and pulling one of the array of blankets tighter around her frame, "Scotty!"

Hyde let out a nervous laugh as he blinked awake, noticing Margot's clear embarrassment, "Sorry Scott, I'll get out of your way in five."

He sat up, his bare chest hot against Margot's side as she registered that she was the one wearing his Led Zeppelin shirt, that which she'd pulled from his torso that previous night.

"Don't be ridiculous, man. Can I talk to you, though? Whenever you're ready I just— we need a chat, dude." Scott asked, trying his hardest to come across as soft as possible.

He was happy to see his sister with Hyde again, but he did feel the need to sternly remind the boy not to hurt her this time, given the consequences of his actions before.

"Sure, man," Hyde nodded, body awash with nerves all of a sudden, "I'll meet you in the kitchen in a few, yeah?"

Scott nodded, his head ducking out of the room swiftly.

"Well good morning, sunshine," Hyde smirked when he knew Scott was out of earshot, his hand smoothing over the curve of Margot's thigh and hitching up his shirt so it rested above her waist now, "I could get used to this."

"What, being woken up by my older brother?"

"Shut up," he scoffed, scooping her close to his body and pressing his lips to hers with urgency, "Waking up next to you is amazing."

"It really is, isn't it?" she smirked, placing her finger under his chin as she straddled him, lifting his face to kiss him once more.

Hyde grinned into the kiss, curling his hands around her waist more tightly. The kiss began to deepen, until Hyde remembered he needed to talk to her brother and didn't want to keep him waiting.

He lifted her off his lap quickly, standing up, "I'd better go, doll."

Margot nodded, biting her lip and standing up to kiss him again, just once more. She tugged the shirt down briefly, before realising it wasn't her own and tugging it off quickly to give to him.

"Woah, woah, Stevie," Hyde's eyes raked over her frame and he too bit his lip now, dropping the shirt as she tossed it to him due to his surprise, "You can't just—"

"I just did. Go on, pretty boy. Scary Scotty awaits."

Hyde rolled his eyes, picking up the shirt and poking his tongue out at her, feeling his heart swell as he turned around and padded out into the kitchen, pulling his shirt on and mentally preparing to have an awkward conversation.

He used to get on well with Scott but knew that there was still rightful resentment regarding what had happened.

"Hyde, dude, you don't need to look so scared of me. Don't think i've ever seen you look this scared."

Hyde laughed nervously.

"Look, man. You know I've always liked you and Margs together. You made her so, so happy," he began, a small thin-lipped smile gracing his tanned features, "But you hurt her. You broke her fucking heart and it's going to take a lot of work for me to really trust you with her again, even though I know you only hurt her because you couldn't be honest about your feelings."

Hyde swallowed hard, nodding a little as a sort of gesture for Scott to continue as he knew he intended to.

"Just please, please, make sure she knows how you genuinely feel about her. No more Mr Tough Guy, it's going to get you absolutely fucking nowhere. She loves you, Hyde. She always has and I'm not watching my baby sister get torn up by you again."

"I promise I haven't got any intention of hurting her again, Scott. I said all that stuff last year because I thought she'd be happier if she didn't miss me and hated me instead but," he twiddled his thumbs as he spoke, nervous though relieved he could be completely honest, "I just made her hate me and miss what had happened before that. I adore her, Scott. I know nobody expects me to be seriously interested in anyone but... I adore Margot more than anything. I really do."

"I know."

Scott hopped down from where he was currently perched on the kitchen top, placing a cigarette between his lips and pulling his lighter out, "You can go back to her now, dude, it's fine. Just know I'm keeping my eye on you, at least for now."

Hyde nodded again, "I know. Thanks for understanding, man. I've missed you."

"Missed you too, buddy," he laughed, slapping his hand on the back of Hyde's shoulder as he passed him to head for the front door, "Now go on, I need a cig and Margot's gonna think I've killed you."

Hyde was happy to be back in the Byrne household. Happier than he had ever realised it made him. Being at the Formans was where he considered 'home' usually, but he felt most at home with Margot at his side. Being in her house, talking to her brother, even just standing in her kitchen made him feel... warm.

He too still found it strange that Margot invoked such strong feelings from him, given he never had girlfriends and never even admitted he liked girls for more than sex usually.

But she was like a magnet to him, and he couldn't keep himself away.

He padded back into the games room, eyes landing immediately on Margot who was fast asleep again, curled up on the couch with no blankets. He smiled broadly, walking over and sitting himself just at the edge of the couch to look at her.

She was incredible.

And, she was shivering.

Hyde picked up the blankets that had been discarded and pulled them over her body, tucking them in so that she was completely comfortable and covered — given that she was still in her underwear.

He leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to her temple and pushing her hair out of her face, laughing ever so slightly at the soft snores escaping her cherry-tinted lips.

He stood up, heading for the corner of the room where a notepad and pen sat beside a glowing lamp. He picked it up, scrawling out a note to tell her he had gone home but purely to leave her to sleep. He told her he'd meet her at the Forman's later and — more importantly — that he loved her.

Dropping the note lightly onto the coffee table beside her, he scurried to the kitchen and poured her a glass of water, which he placed just left of the note for her eventual awakening.

"I love you, doll," he whispered, pulling his shoes on to leave and collecting his jacket from atop the pool table, "I'll see you later."

Margot had woken up a little, eyes still closed but a small smile tugging at her lips as Hyde left the room and his words lingered at the forefront of her weary head.

"I love you too."

———
hope u enjoyed that !!
sorry it's been a while i've
had a lot going on, combined
with the fact ive had about 383
new ideas but not enough written
or enough motivation to do anything
with them hahahah x