Two

"Hey girl hey." My best friends voice floated through the phone as I walked towards Ruby's school.

"Jess! My god, I miss you mi amor." I smiled as she laughed.

"What'll Diego think if he hears you saying that?" I could almost hear the smirk on her face as she spoke, she'd never been fond of Diego, much like everyone else who had met him.

"He's not that bad Jess." I sighed as I rounded the corner, Freeridge high coming into sight.

"Oh whatever, when are you gunna leave his ass and get yourself a good man?" She asked.

"I'm not gunna leave him just because you don't like him." I shrugged even though she couldn't see me.

"It's not just me though is it, it's your Dad,  Ruby, his friends, our friends, even my mom thinks there's something off about him." She listed.

"My mum likes him, doesn't that count for something?" I laughed as I made my way closer to the school, it was true, my mother has always approved of Diego no matter how many arguments we would get in.

"Yeah but only because she wants a piece of that young ass." She laughed making me nod to myself, it was true, I may ignore all the looks she gives him, the way her touch lingers a little bit too long, but I see it happening, and I know that he enjoys it too.

"Yeah, well, shut up." I muttered with a laugh as a familiar red car sitting outside the school caught my attention. "Hey Jess, I'll call you back later, alright?" I spoke without moving my eyes from the car.

"Alright, I love you girl." She sung through the phone making me laugh.

"Te amo Baby." I smiled hanging up just as I reached the drivers side window. "Uh hey." I said awkwardly, leaning down resting my arms on the window.

"Hey." He smirked slightly as he looked over at me.

"Um, I just wanted to say thank you, I guess, for the other day." I smiled small, keeping my eyes on my hands.

"What'd you mean?" He asked as he looked into my eyes, his brown ones capturing my own in a heartbeat.

"After you told Diego to respect me, he's been nicer I guess." I shrugged slightly, suddenly feeling awkward. "Um yeah, that's it, bye." I said quickly standing up and moving away to lean on the wall as I waited for Ruby to come out of the school.

"Hey, uh Amelia right?" His voice caught my attention, I looked round just as he was closing his door before walking over and leaning on the wall beside me.

"Uh yeah, but everyone calls me Lia except Diego." I shrugged looking down at the ground but quickly looking over at him as he scoffed at the mention of Diego. "What?" I asked with a small smile and eyebrow raised.

"He always treat you like that?" He asked as he pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket.

"Meh, he has his days." I shrugged. "Thank you." I smiled as he offered me a cigarette, reaching over my fingers brushed his lightly as I took it from him.

"He ever hit you?" He asked next making me look up at him as he raised his lighter in front of my face.

"We've had play fights but that's about it." I shrugged as I took a drag of my fag.

"Where you from?" He asked as he looked over at me while flicking the ash to the ground.

"Here originally." I smiled when his eyes widened slightly. "I moved to California when I was like ten, haven't been back longer than a week since then."