#blacklivesmatter

I'm tired. I'm tired of looking at the world and seeing violence. I'm tired of seeing people look the other way because, "It's America, that's just what happens.". It shouldn't happen. America or elsewhere. Nobody should be afraid for their lives simply because of the colour of their skin.
I'm not American, It's not my country but that doesn't mean I shouldn't care. Because at the end of the day, these are people.

People being murdered. Murdered by the people who swore to protect them.

People being betrayed. Betrayed by those who stay indifferent. Betrayed by their government who would rather watch their nation burn than send some cops to jail.

I'm South African. And during apartheid, the black lives movement stood with us. So, I stand with them.

I'm also a dancer. A hip-hop dancer. Black Americans created my passion. I cannot stay silent, I cannot look the other way, I cannot find happiness in their creations and culture then not care when they are being oppressed and murdered.

I'm apart of the LGBTQ+ community. If it wasn't for the work and sacrifice of queer black Americans, we wouldn't have Pride Month.

Black Americans have helped me, so how can I not help them?

And for those who say things like "All Lives Matter" and "What about us?", nobody is saying your life doesn't matter. It is simply just not about you right now. All lives do matter, the point is that the people in power don't see it that way. Right now, they need to know that BLACK LIVES MATTER. They need to know that their prejudice will no longer be tolerated. They need to know that their genocide will not be ignored.

For those who are not black or American and feel like it's not your place to do or say anything. Change will not happen if everyone doesn't stand together. If you're afraid of saying the wrong thing, don't be. It's better than staying quiet. Because silence solves nothing, it only makes it seem as if you don't care.

To those who are white. Acknowledge your privilege. I know you didn't ask for it, and society was wrong to give it to you. But you have it. It doesn't make you a bad person, I promise. It gives you a stronger voice. Use it.

America is not exactly loved by the rest of the world. But they are trying to change, they can't do it alone. They need our help. And if you refuse to give it because you don't like their country, It's because you don't want to like them.
Why waste your time with hate when you are being given the opportunity to improve?

Whether you like it or not, they are the leading country. They influence the rest of us. When change happens there. It just might happen here too.

##blacklivesmatter

- love, Laylah Boltman