Chapter Twenty

*Stars don't mean to fade, that's just how they're made*

"Dad?" Tyler rubs at her eyes, groggy and half-awake. "Hey, how are you?"

"Where have you been young lady?"

"Dad-"

"First Marcus calls me with some insane theory of Don beating on you and you running away from home...Look, I've had several talks with Don over the past week. Not only has he gotten more and more responsible, he's told me all of what you've been up to. I am severely disappointed in you. Drugs? Partying? What happened to that sweet little girl I had? Tyler, come home, baby. Let's talk about this. It hurts me to hear you doing such awful things." The amount of pity and disappointment in his voice makes her want to cry. Don's such a liar! How can he believe him?

"Daddy, it's not what it sounds like! Don's lying to you!" She cries out, wishing that he could see her face. Maybe then he'd understand, maybe then he'd realize what a liar he had for a son. "Don was beating on me, and I did run away. I've got an apartment now, and a job, and a roommate. I'm not doing drugs, partying, or staying up all night doing whatever else he told you. I'm being the responsible one!"

"Don't you back talk me, young lady." He sighs, and she can hear him walking around. "I just wish you wouldn't lie to me, baby-doll. I love you, and it's okay for you to tell me the truth. It won't get you in anymore trouble. Just talk to me."

"I am talking to you, Daddy! Please, you've got to believe me. Don...Don made me do some really bad things, okay? He hurt me, Daddy." Her voice cracks and she barely keeps herself from crying. "Don did things he's not supposed to do. I had to get away from him."

Her father doesn't say anything for the longest time. Tyler watches her phone, waiting for him to say something, anything. The time slowly changes from six thirty to six thirty five. She's got to go to work in a half hour, but she doesn't want to rush him. She doesn't want to move, get up, or do anything. Tyler's just plain wore out. "Why didn't you call me?"

Her heart shatters at how sad he sounds, "I...I don't know. I was scared to talk to you. I didn't think you'd believe me. You never believe me. Anytime I've hinted at what he's done to me...what he's made me do..." She shakes her head even though he can't see her. "You laughed it off, patted my head, told me that Don's a good boy and that I shouldn't get him angry if I don't want to get hurt...I didn't want you to just put me back there again. I couldn't stay with him."

"Oh, baby-doll...when can we talk?"

"I don't know. I've got work today, and I won't get off until around two or three. Are you still at the hospital with Mom?"

"Sort of. I'm still working, but when I get off I go to the hospital. I've been staying at a hotel across the street. She's gotten worse, a lot worse, Tyler. I don't get off until six, but why don't you come over and visit her? When I get off work we can talk. Is that okay with you?" He sounds almost timid, as if he's afraid she'll say no.

"Sure, Dad. How...how worse are we talking?"

"She was moved to the ICU yesterday morning. She had a stroke, they think it was her medicine. I..." There's a pause. "I think she'll be okay, but I'm worried for her. We all are. Seeing you might help her out a bit. She's missed you, so have I."

"I've missed you guys too."

"I've gotta get going...I love you, Tyler."

"I love you too, Dad."

"Goodbye."

"Bye."

The line clicks off, and Tyler throws herself back onto her pillow. There's tears in her eyes, but she's not exactly sad. She's not quite certain what she is. Her pillow is soft though, and her eyes are heavy, so she lays back down to get a couple more minutes of sleep before her alarm goes off and she really has to wake up.