Chapter Twenty-Four

*Turn left or walk right, she's on the run tonight*

"Welcome to the Knickknack Shack, how can I help you today, Sir?" Tyler asks, only mildly bored. Normally, the customers are old or eccentric. This guy isn't.

Dark hair, dark eyes, the guy could pass as Alise's older brother if it wasn't for his nose and ears. She gives him a warm smile, wondering how warmer it'd be if she wasn't with Jake. Oddly enough, she doesn't sex gauge him, like Don used to always tell her to do.

The guy nods three times, slightly jumpy. "Uh, yeah, yeah. Sorry, bit dazed. I, uh, my Mom. That is, she's looking for a--a gift. New baby, crazy aunt? That sort of thing."

"Ah..." she says. Tyler nods as if she completely understands. "New baby, crazy aunt, that sort of thing."

He nods again, "Of 'course. Any idea of what I should get 'er?"

Tyler tugs on her ponytail, touching it to her shoulders as she thinks. "Ummm...is it for the baby or the aunt?"

"I don't think it really matters."

"Oh-Kay, in that case..." Tyler makes her way over to the first isle, looking through it for anything vaguly childlike. "So, you have a crazy family?"

He laughs, "That's not even the half of it."

"Oh?"

She listens as he tells her a story about him introducing his girlfriend, Rachel, to his parents and how they freaked out and broke into song. "It was pretty crazy. I mean, they came up with lyrics right on the spot. Off key, yes. Annoying, yes. Hilarious?" He chuckles, "most definitely. My aunt is totally off kilter though. Like you wouldn't even believe. So, what's your family like?"

Tyler shrugs, "Eh. My family is normal, I guess. Just me...my Mom and Dad...and my brother." Something goes low in her voice, and she plays it off by picking up a six dollar China Doll and giving him a smile. "Does this look okay?"

"Yeah, wow. Thanks..." The guy pauses a bit, giving her a look as if to say 'and you are?'

"Tyler."

"I'm Andrew." When she goes to shake his hand he trips into her, giving her a hug as he tries to stand himself back up. Laughing, they finally untangle. "Sorry about that, normally I'm more careful, ya know?"

"It's fine."

He follows her back up to the counter. While she gets him checked out, he looks her over. Tyler tries not to blush a bit at his not-so-subtle-ness. Okay, this guy definitely stepped into creepy zone. Just smile and bear it! Smile and bear it. "So, uh, yeah. That'll be six twenty-three."

As she turns back to take his money, a flash goes off. For a second she's blinded, then it passes. My picture?

"Uh, what was that?"

Andrew shakes his head, grinning at her. "My friend knows you." Before she can say anything else he's put his phone back into his pocket. "So, yeah, never mind about that whole doll thing. I think I'll get my Mom something else."

Her heart starts pounding, "You said it was your aunt."

"Did I? Sorry, yeah, out of it." he says. Andrew heads for the door, waving a hand back at her. "Look, I'm a good guy, okay? I just needed a picture. That's all. It's a job, ya know?" His brown eyes seem to tack onto hers as he looks back, halfway through the door. "Just a job. Nothing personal, like, nothing at all. Well, personal for me. I just needed a job."

"What?"

The door closes behind him. Heart pounding, completely confused, and somewhat angry, Tyler just watches him from her spot. He pulls out his phone, calling someone. A minute passes with the phone pressed up against his ear, Andrew's body looking animated and excited. A grin is plastered on his face as he finally pulls away from the phone, as if someone just gave him a medal.