Chapter 16

I depended on him one to many times and look where it got me

__________________________

I ran through the woods as fast as I possibly could.

Despite the fact that my muscle around my closed wound was burning. I tried to find the spot where Cato and I last saw Marvel. I didn't tie up my hair from before so I pulled it all back into a low bun quickly. I needed to keep it out of my face in case I run into someone. That could be Thresh or Katniss. Both are threats right now honestly.

I wondered who was dead in the moment. I heard two cannons that went off a couple of minutes ago, before I left Cato by himself. I also really couldn't tell if he didn't want me to leave or if he didn't want to be alone.

I stopped in my tracks once I saw someone lying on the ground with an arrow in their abdomen. My stomach sank as I got closer. I quietly hid behind a tree as I watched the girl on fire sob. I peaked my head to confirm that it was Marvel on the ground.

He was dead.

I closed my eyes for a second. Marvel was the one that always looked out for me, even when Cato didn't. He was the first one the saved my life. I could've been here to kill the girl on fire if I just stayed. I could've prevented his death.

The girl on fire's sobs were the only thing that could be heard. Her ally, the little girl from eleven was also dead. I saw Marvel's spear lying next to her as she laid on the ground with her eyes closed. I took a good look around for anyone near me. The only thing I saw were huge bonfires that weren't lit, I'm sure it was their plan to draw us in. Maybe that's why Cato wanted to go hunting.

A few tears slipped down my cheeks in the process of losing Marvel. Despite that he was raised in the career districts, he was a great person. He was my own version of Roland in here. He's one of the reasons why I'm alive.

I backed away from the tree, knowing that my back side was vulnerable as I stared at him for so long. As much as I didn't like Katniss, and as much as it pissed me off that she killed Marvel, I allowed her to grieve in peace. Just as I wanted too for Marvel. I sniffed as I continued to walk. I furiously wiped my eyes and the tears that stained my cheeks.

I put my head in my hands as I slid down a tree. It pissed me off so much that Marvel was dead. It made me furious enough that it wasn't Katniss' fault, even though she technically went through the action of shooting him with her arrow. In the long run, it was President Snow's fault. He's the one that created these games. He's the one that forced us all in here.

"Dammit," I muttered angrily at myself. I sniffed once again and wiped the tears away from my cheeks. I didn't want people to see this side of me, since I had a pretty lethal partner. This just goes to show that you can't have emotions in here. My emotions will get the best of me, and they'll get in the way eventually. I pushed all the sadness back down inside.

I started to walk back towards camp, since it really was just Cato and I left. The fear that has been bubbling inside of me recently still remains.

It really could get down to just Cato and I.

What the hell is going to happen when that nightmare becomes reality? Is he going to kill me? How will he kill me.

I got back to the opening where the cornucopia is. I saw the blown up bits still scattered everywhere. I saw the tarps knocked over, along with some weapons around the area that the once career group found.

But I didn't see Cato.

I looked around the area quickly. Did he leave?

"Cato?" I called out in fear. Was he dead? I didn't hear a cannon.

Panic ran through me as I looked around the area. I ran back in the forest around the area because I knew he wouldn't go too far. My eyes quickly scanned the woods, to see if I could find those familiar blue eyes. Where the hell is he. Is he pissed at me for leaving?

"Shit," I said angrily and dug both hands at the top of my hair on my head. I felt the tears start to form again as I couldn't find Cato. I was scared to be on my own. I was scared of something happening to Cato.

But mostly I was scared of Thresh.

"Cato where are you?" I shouted. No response, I didn't expect one. But if some how or some way he'd answer it would be a miracle. I returned back to camp. I knew what I had to do. I grabbed the remaining knives and slipped them into the pockets of my jacket. I grabbed my bag and stuffed the water bottle in.

I guess I really am on my own now.