Chapter 25

Maybe home isn't a place

___________________________

Two weeks later Cato and I were on the train back home.

He was completely healed, as I was almost. I still had soreness in my body in the areas I had deep bite wounds. Those dogs really ripped apart my body. They really ripped apart my mind too.

On top of awful scars, I have these, nightmares. I go to sleep and these dogs appear in my dreams, Thresh appears in my dreams, and even Cato and Glimmer appear in my dreams. And everyone's intentions are to kill.

They gave me sleeping medicine though. So most nights I get at least six hours of sleep which, I guess is good. Although from six hours on I can't sleep, I wake up in sweats and screams.

An arm went around my body, which broke me from my own thoughts. I looked over my shoulder to see Cato standing next to me. He was warm, and smelled good too. He kissed my bare shoulder.

"Do you get nightmares?" We both leaned against the railing and looked at the window. There were tree's everywhere. But not like the arena, they were real.

"Yeah," he said, "Do you?" I nodded and bit the inside of my lip.

"What are they about?"

"The dogs mostly," He explained. "Sometimes about losing you."

"They feel so real."

" Well they aren't real," he whispered in my ear.

"I know," I said softly, "I close my eyes for two seconds and it feels like I'm there again." I shook my head as I could still feel the hot sun from in there. I could still smell the smell from the bloodbath.

"You'll never go in there again Kat." Yeah, I bet the capital will somehow find a fucked up way to get us back in there.

"Just you two wait," Brutus said from behind us. He slapped his hands our shoulders and I winced at how hard it was. "You're going to get home, and get greeted by hundreds of people! And your homes are already waiting for you, Peacekeepers moved your stuff in."

"Joy," I said and rolled my eyes. I didn't care about money, or jewels or whatever you get at the end of winning all of this. "I just want to see Roland." Cato looked over at me, he looked like he was thinking. Maybe he didn't remember who it was.

"I'm looking forward to meeting him," he said flatly. I nodded slowly, he looked like he was still trying to figure out who Roland was.

A while later the train came to a stop. My palms became sweaty as Cato and I looked at each other.

We were home, why was I so nervous?

We both took a step out and the familiar smell hit me. I sighed instantly in relief as I walked into the justice building. This felt purely euphoric - to be in my home district again. I really thought I was never going to see this place again.