Chapter 24

you were the pieces of me that I shared with no one else

_________________________

"I wonder when she'll wake up."

Many voices conversed somewhere around me. I took a deep breath in and slowly opened my eyes. My body felt heavy, I feel like I couldn't move anything. There was unfamiliar faces surrounding me. They had on white lab coats and some had on light blue dresses. My eyebrows furrowed together as everyone turned around and gasped.

Where the hell am I?

They immediately started checking my vitals, someone grabbed my arm to take my blood pressure while another put their stethoscope over my heart.

"Kat? Can you hear me?" I was way too weak to say anything. My entire body was sore. I swallowed something hard in the back of my throat.

"Water," it came out as a whisper. Someone handed me water quickly, and I let the cool water slide down my throat. I felt like I haven't talked in weeks. Maybe it's been that long.

"Kat, you're in the capital," Someone said. I looked at the girl talking to me.

"What happened?" I asked. My voice was groggy. Still healing I'm sure.

"You won the games," Another person said as they looked at the monitor. I looked at her in confusion. Everything that went down however long ago was a blur. I won?

"What am I doing here, I mean."

"You and your district partner got mauled by mutts," she said. Flashbacks of the dogs started coming back. That reminds me, where is Cato..

"Is he...dead?"

"No he's alive, recovering from surgery just as you are," The doctor said.

"We both won?" I asked in confusion.

"You two and the tributes from district twelve." Four of us won?

"How is that possible?"

"It's definitely something that's never happened before," The doctor said with a chuckle. "I think they expected you to be dead, but since neither of you were, they needed to end the games before Katniss and Peeta killed themselves."

"I don't follow."

"The game makers were worried that you two wouldn't have made it. So they stopped Katniss and Peeta from killing themselves, so that they could have definite winners. However, you two managed to recover. So now they have four. It was all about timing really, you guys are really lucky to be alive."

That makes no sense. That's not something that they would normally do. Snow would never ever allow this.

"I don't understand," I tell the young nurse.