Chapter 5: A familiar face

I resurfaced from the ice cold water, my hands trapping water, like my life depended on it. Wait no sorry I forgot, my life did depend on it. As I panted I could feel the weight tugging at my ankle, threatening to pull me back in. I could no longer feel my legs as they had been in the water for too long. I only had to rely on my tied hands that could barely do anything.

"Hurry up Breanne," the voice said above me before kicking the cold water to my face. I flinched and silently screamed as I struggled. I couldn't show any weakness. I only knew if I did, I would get punished for it later. I took a sharp intake of breath when I felt my body sink back into the freezing water. I tried to scream knowing well enough no one could hear me. Even if someone did, they wouldn't save me….

"Breanne O'dair."

My eyes jolted open when I heard Mrs Grey call my name. Shit. I must have fallen asleep. I rubbed my eyes as I adjusted to the sudden brightness. History is an interesting subject so it felt a little weird to be sleeping in that class. I guess I made a mistake watching Netflix till 4am last night.

"I assume you already know everything about this topic?" I opened my mouth to speak but she interrupted me, um rude, "Good. I would like to ask you a question about the lesson." 

"I um-" 

"Would you be so kind to tell the class about the holocaust?" she interrupted me again and I bit my lip a little as I heaved a sigh. I was trained to multitask many years ago. And I knew for a fact that she was not talking about the Holocaust. But it was always fun to brag about my 'amazing' knowledge. I turned to face the class. 

"The holocaust, also known as the Shoah, was the World War 2 genocide of the European Jews. It happened from 1941 to 1945 across German-occupied Europe and Nazi Germany. The people, along with its collaborators systematically murdered 6 million Jews which was around two-thirds of Europe's Jewish population. The murders were carried out in many ways and one of which was mass shootings," I paused and looked back at Mrs Grey, "But I dont think you were talking about the Holocaust, if I can recall, you telling the class about the Egyptian civilisation." She didn't say anything so I sat down, a proud smirk on my face. She chose the wrong day to pick on a student. Especially if the student is me. 

Mrs Grey continued teaching the lesson, giving me a few stares along the way to make sure I paid attention–which I did. My mind kept wandering to the dream I had. It felt so real. I winced a little at the thought. I shouldn't have slept just like that. Not without my sleeping pills at least. My thoughts were interrupted by a vibration from my pocket. Taking out my phone, I saw that there was a message from Camile. I stifled a laugh when I saw her contact name. I had changed it last night before going to bed. Best decision I've made this week.

Hey sis. Can u wait for me at the bleachers after school. I'm trying out for the cheerleading team today. I really hope they accept me XD –moneythief

I smiled a little after reading the text. Camile was an awesome cheerleader before we moved. There's no way they would reject her a spot. 

I'm sure they'll accept you. Anyway, I can do my homework while waiting. Don't take long time tho –me 

But what time does it end?–me

5.45 pm–moneythief 

Keeping my phone into my bag, I tapped Tessa's shoulder. Taking a break from writing her notes, she turned to me. 

"Can you show me where the bleachers are after class? I need to wait for my sister there," I asked.

"Sure. I'm waiting for someone there as well," she smiled, "You want to do our homework while waiting?"