Yellowbone privilege

I never use this term.

This is the stupid term that rappers use to describe light skin females of any race, except white.

You know the ignorant saying that rappers, mostly blacks, says "I want a yellowbone with good hair".

If you don't know what that is, a yellowbone is an African American or a person of mixed ethnicities who is light-skinned and has yellowish undertones in their skin color. Think Drake, Tisha Campbell, Phylicia Rashad.

A redbone is one who is light-skinned but has reddish undertones in their skin color. They're usually slightly darker than yellowbones. Think Aaliyah, Keisha Cole, Nicki Minaj.

You can kind of look at it as a difference of undertones, where yellowbones have yellowish, "cool" undertones and redbones have reddish, "warm" undertones.

Now that you know what I'm talking about, you might be wondering why this chapter is titled yellowbone, light skin, 'privilege'.

Before you pull out your pitchforks and torches, hear me out.

Everyone knows, well everyone should know that the Caucasian race is the most privileged race in America.

I'll get into that in another chapter.

BUT, believe it our not, black people or any person of color with light skin still holds a certain privilege in America.

I say this because that's the reason why colorism exist.

For those who still does not know the definition of Colorism it's, verbatim, prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone, typically among people of the same ethnic or racial group.

So, the difference between Colorism and racism is that Colorism is afflicted from the same people that's in your own racial group.

Dark-skinned people, mostly dark-skinned black women, are put down by their own race because they have darker skin.

😑

It's so ironic it's humorous because the main people in our racial group that puts dark-skinned black women down because of their complexion is dark-skinned black men.

They only do that because a lot are so hating of theirselves that someone who looks exactly like them but of a different gender looks repulsive because they find theirselves to look repulsive.

Again, we learned from the white man.

This stems from the very heavy discrimination that dark-skinned black men mostly faced during slavery time.

"The niggers who rapes our white women."

"The unemployed, cheap cheetah print wearing porch-monkeys."

This is only a few things that they use to, and still do, call dark-skinned black men.

Did you know that if you look up the definition of 'nigger' on google, this will come up, verbatim:

"a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person."

Tell me, why do you think that the dictionary from Oxford felt the need to separate black and dark-skinned?

Now, don't get me wrong. The initial definition of Colorism states prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone, BUT Colorism can affect light skin people in a negative way.

It's not per say 'Colorism' but it is a type of prejudice or discrimination.

This mostly is aimed towards light-skinned men.