Chapter 8

Her POV

I got back to work quickly on studying the results of the test. Staring down at the microscope, I jot down a few notes.

"You heading out?" Anderson asks me as he puts on his coat.

"Not yet," I say as I take a sip of the coffee from my mug, "I want to study these results for a little while."

"The test go well?" he asks.

"The serum didn't work perfectly, but I think a slight alteration to the structure might work."

He nods, understanding the need to stay until a project is complete, "Just don't stay here all night."

"I won't. Promise."

We say our goodbyes quickly as he leaves. The other scientists and lab techs soon follow him out the door. Within an hour, there isn't anyone left with me.

I look at my notes one last time as an idea hits me. Standing up, I head to the freezer units.

Time to work.

*****

A Years Ago

I could feel the sun start to set behind us as the waves crashed against the shore.

"You know you didn't have to buy me anything," I laugh as my perfect husband carries a huge square into the room. It's wrapped completely in newspapers, but the shape completely gives it away as a painting.

"You had our rings engraved," he reminds me, "I'm not going to let you avoid my gift."

"But you already brought me here," I gesture to the amazing beach house. He surprised me with the plane tickets this morning for a weekend on the beach, "This is already an amazing gift."

"This place isn't your gift," he smiles as he walks towards me and wraps his arms around my waist. He kisses up my neck until he reaches my lips, "This is just so I can see you naked on the beach."

"Oh really?" I kiss him back, lifting my hands around his neck and tugging his hair lightly to pull him closer to me.

"100%," he smiles, "I can't wait to make love to you with the sun setting over the water as our backdrop."

I laugh before I kiss him soundly. My entire body is buzzing at his words. I move my hand to unbutton his shirt when he moves away.

"No pouting," he nips at my bottom lip before fully leaving my arms.

"No teasing," I mock back.

"Don't think of it as teasing," he smiles, "Think of it as momentarily postponing."

"What for?" I shake my head.

"For you to open your gift," he grabs my hand in his and walks me over to the covered painting. He moves to stand behind me before he tells me to open it.

I make quick work of the paper as the painted canvas starts to be revealed. Stepping back, I take in the beautiful brush strokes. He wraps his arms around my waist as he leans forward to place his head next to mine.

"Since the ninth wedding year is willow, I thought this painting would be perfect," his voice is husky as we both stare at it.

The painting is a landscape work with the main focus of a beautiful willow tree.

"It's beautiful," I breathe out. I turn in his arms to kiss him again, "Thank you."

That night we spent our anniversary exactly the way he said. We stayed in each other's arms long after the sun had set beyond the water.

*****

The last week has felt like the same day repeated over again. Working all day only to stay late every night as I try to finish the job I started.

The serum has been tested and given to every shifter in the command. With only a few setbacks because of the arena fights, I know I'm nearly ready for the next steps.

"How's your trial coming?" Anderson asks as he walks over to my table, "Lose any subjects?"

"The first tests seem promising," I tell him, rolling my eyes, "And my job isn't to kill anyone."

"Right," he says, "You're trying to separate the man from the animal."

"That's what the research says," I know he'll keep pushing. He wants to know if he can use the work for weapons. Maybe even use it in that grenade he's working on.

"You know if we worked together, we could solve the problem faster," he tries.

"I've been here for almost a month. You know I work alone," I say.

"But that doesn't mean you have to."

Sighing, I look up at him, "If you really want to help, can you have the guards bring up the lycan? He's the last shifter I need to test the new version of the serum on."

"Will do," he nods, "You know I'm just trying to help you. You've been working yourself too hard the last couple of days."

"I know," I concede, "But trust me. Today will be the last day. Once I finish with the lycan, I'll be done with this phase."