Chapter Two: "Doesn't this woman have sons?"

I'm in love with Outerbanks. I've rewatched it, like, three times already! Did you guys watch that?

Question: What's your favorite TV show?

Chapter Two: "Doesn't this woman have sons?"

"What do you mean?" I ask confused, my heart pounding like a jackhammer in my chest.

"I don't have enough money to bring you. The flights are a lot more money than I expected and I can't afford it. I tried talking to my work but they said that they aren't paying me until I start working. I also need to pay for an apartment while I'm there since the job isn't giving me anything, and there isn't enough money for both of us. I talked with my friend, Brenda, and she said she would be happy to let you stay there while I'm away. I'm really sorry sweetie, I've tried everything I could to be able to afford you coming with me."

Tears swell up in my eyes as my mom tells me the news.

"How long will I have to stay there?" I ask, quietly.

"I don't know honey. As long as it takes for me to make some money. But I promise you'll love it there. Brenda is so nice and caring. She'll act as if you're her own. She also has kids your age that you can hang out with. I'll only be in Hawaii until I make some money. This new job pays well. When I get the right amount of money I need to fly you out, I will in a blink of an eye. Oh honey, don't cry. I'll start to cry." She says, starting to tear up.

I nod. "I'm going to miss you," I say, as I start to sob.

My mom starts to sob and she pulls me in for a hug. She soon pulls away. "I'm going to go upstairs. There's still a bunch of things I have to do before I leave."

I nod, "Can I come with you? I have questions."

"Of course sweetie."

I follow my mom upstairs and into her room. I lay down on her bed while she pulls out her laptop at her desk and starts to work.

"So why is it in Hawaii? Are we moving there officially?" I start.

"Once I get the money to fly you out, we're going to be staying there until they don't need me anymore. The company I'm with just opened a branch in Hawaii, and they need me there to kick start the new facility. Once the company thinks everything is running smoothly, they will send me back here to California."

"Why can't you just stay here?"

"The job I'm doing right now pays okay, but not enough. If I go to Hawaii, it will be a better job with a better paycheck. I wouldn't be leaving here if I didn't think it's what's best for us. Once I kickstart the new facility in Hawaii and stay there for a while, they will keep paying me that bigger amount even after I return here."

"When will you fly me out?"

"Honestly honey, I have no idea. It could be a few months, maybe even a year. It just depends on how much I have to spend once I get there. But once I get settled in and I have the money, I will send you out ASAP."

"How long would we stay in Hawaii?"

"Up until the company thinks that the new facility doesn't need me anymore. It could be a few years."

My eyes start to tear up when I hear that I could be away from my mom for an entire year and away from my friends for even longer.