4

With a crack of her pencil she was done with the exams. She got up to leave but was commanded to sit back by the invigilator. " This place is actually cool" Mira thought within as she viewed the blocks outside "but not as good as the military college though" she concluded dismissing her former thought.
"Alright" finally it was time to leave as the invigilator called the exams to a halt "stop all writing, you have exhausted your time". Mira got up to get her bag and was about to leave when the girl ( Vivian) called her "hey mira!"
" How was it" she asked coming closer with a grin like she had just won an award. Mira still couldn't understand why she could be so proud and happy about being in such a place. Unlike the military college, this place had no prestige.
"Cool... Atleast not as hard as I had prepared" Mira began telling her new found friend about her tarnished expectation of going to the military college.
"Wow.. that's sad"
"Don't worry dear, you're still gonna get there... You'll be fine here as well. All you need is time"
Mira smiled knowing fully well that this words are going nowhere as far as she was concerned.
" Yeah, thanks.. see ya whenever, my mum is waiting"
"Oh fine, my regards to her. Take care". They got separated by Destination.
Mira tried brightening up after the exams, at she was able to write it. That's something to be grateful for.
Smiling, she approached the car and her mum came around. " Are you done?, How did it go"?? The question only infected her smile as it grew wider. She got into the car without replying.
"I trust you baby" her mum said as she joined her inside. Shocked and with a blink of an eye Mira was facing her mum with a did-she-just-say-that kind of look. "Wow" was all she could mutter as she put on her seat belt remembering all the argument she has had with her mum due to the numerous insecurities her mum had about her.
"Did you just say that to me!!?" Again their father repeated the question pushing the sofa aggressively towards her brother. "I'm talking to you!", This was the scene that welcomed Mira and her mum as they got home. She muttered some cursing words under her breath.
Mira had four brothers and three sisters. Right from before her graduation from high school, their father has always exhibited this nonchalant aggressive kind of behavior towards Mira and her brothers, perhaps it even started long before then. Except on days and times when her or her siblings are recognized and appreciated outside their father seems not to care about them, pushing all responsibilities to their mum except off course, the fees. While the duration of that isn't guaranteed.
" As long as you're under my roof and are willing to remain as my child, you'll so as I say.. do you understand me!!?" Dad was still shouting.
Funny enough, no one ever knows why he gets so angry, so Mira just stood there watching what was taking place before her, while her mum tried to settle the issue as always. "Dad is not how things are done, I also have my rights and plans for my life" it seems like her brother was trying to defend himself. At home any defense from them added more fuel to the fire. No one was ready to hear you out.
"You must be mad!!, You're just so useless!" Their father shot back heading for him. This was actually getting unbearable, so Mira just heaved a helpless sigh and walked off to her room. That was Micheal's cross to bear. Being the second boy but the third child of the family, well now the first in all since the two older ones had left unable to stand the situation at home. Mira just woke up one faithful morning to the absence of her eldest brother and sister. She thought they had travelled, but that day grew into days, into weeks, months, a year and now it's been over six years. Since then All the pressure and burden were kept on Michael.
Gliding into her spot of succor, Mira lay on her bed recalling her today, closing up the noise coming from the parlor. Her bed was her dearest place of peace and thoughts. Like that she crawled into sleep.
"Sam noo!" She woke up to find her little brother fiddling with her diary. How he got it, Mira wondered. "You're not to joke with this" she said snatching the book out of her little brothers hand. Mira's younger brother Sam, was like the only true best friend she had, that seemed impossible but it was so. Notwithstanding the obvious age difference and his young mindset, Sam was still able to read his sister's expression at all times. Always curious and wanting to make and see Mira happy always, he made it a point of duty to disturb her Everytime whether she consented to it or not.
"Whyyy.. what's in there?" He asked while trying to get the book back. Mira pushed him away and told him to stop. They both fell on the bed and started laughing.
"Soo... How are you?" He asked now turning on their convo mode. Mira then narrated all her story to her brother, about her exams, Vivian and how she felt about the whole thing. "Don't worry, everything will be okay" brother said finally and they both hugged each other.
Just then their sister called from the kitchen, announcing that their food was set. For some reason Mira and Anastasia were never in good terms for long, there was always something to beef over. Her sister, Ana has always had a way of painting her black and making everyone stand against Mira in any argument. She was more like their mother when it came to admitting and accepting her faults, would rather argue and fight to death. Mira didn't care about that actually, she had more bigger and important things on her mind to pursue so she allowed her do whatever.
As Sam hurried out of the room with Mira's sweater, just to draw her attention to come after him Mira shoved the diary under her dressing box, it's place and rushed out for her brother.
"Sam!" Don't let me get you" she said laughing.