Intermission/The Soundtrack

Since their rough ride in the Rite of Spring, our heroes took a well-deserved rest. The devastation of the landscape and the extinction of the dinosaurs left them totally depressed. Even the baby dinosaurs had a hard time, not just adjusting to a world alien from their own, but the loss of their parents was the most traumatic experience of their lives.

They were together in a room along with Deems, Leopold and the members of the orchestra, whom were also on break. The Equestrians drank some water and apple juice, even eating sandwiches while caressing the baby dinosaurs. The minute they walked in, they told Deems everything that happened: The volcanoes, the storms, the dinosaur attacks, meeting friendly dinosaurs, the Tyrannosaurus that ate their Stegosaur friend, the earthquakes and, of course, how the dinosaurs died before them. After telling the entire story, they remained silent and haven't spoken in minutes. They just didn't know what else to say after what happened.

While eating a sandwich, Deems looked at his pony friends and couldn't help but feel sorry for them after what they've seen. He approaches the quiet group and sits next to Twilight.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Still sad, Mister Taylor," Twilight answered.

"It'll pass, Twilight... It'll pass," Deems said, patting her back. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thanks," Twilight said, sadly.

They were silent again, Deems taking the time to think. He knew there was something they still didn't know about the realm and it was time they knew the truth.

"You said some black smoke brought you through different time periods?"

"Jiminy said time had a will of its own in that realm," Twilight said. "I believed him."

"Actually... He's right," Deems said.

The minute Deems said so, every pony drew their attention to him.

"It's true?" Twilight asked. "Time moves forward, all on its own?"

"And backward," Deems added.

"Huh?" Everypony asked, confused.

"The black smoke allows you to go forward and back in time," Deems explained. "It also accelerates moments that happened and repeats them just the same."

"So, what you're saying is... The dinosaurs are alive?" Fluttershy asked, hopefully.

"Well... Yes... And no," Deems answered.

Now the Equestrians were really confused, some feeling sad again.

"You see, the Dinosaurs themselves are trapped in a time loop," Deems continued.

"A time loop?" Twilight asked.

"Yes, one that keeps repeating the same thing over and over for eternity, no matter how often you visit it."

"Isn't there anything we could do?" Octavia asked.

"I'm afraid not, Octavia," Deems said.

Everypony faced each with worry, while Deems turned to a baby Parasaurolophus and stroked its head.

"You made the right choice saving these babies," Deems said, breaking the silence. "Don't stay sad forever. It's no way to live, the dinosaurs wouldn't want that either."

"We know," Twilight said. "It's just hard... We're not used to this."

"Just remember the best times with them, not the worst," Deems advised. "Once the rest of the sheet music are found, you have our permission to take the baby dinosaurs home with you. I know you'll take good care of them."