A Night on Bald Mountain, Part 1

Equestria
Canterlot Theater
Many hours later

Reaching the end of the concert, Twilight announced the last number and, without the audience knowing, it was going to take things from horrifying to hopeful.

"The last number in our Fantasia program is a combination of two pieces of music so utterly different in construction and mood that they set each other off perfectly. The first is A Night On Bald Mountain, by one of Russia's greatest composers, Modest Mussorgsky. The second is Franz Schubert's world-famous Ave Maria which will be sung by Lyrica Lilac. Musically and dramatically, we have here a picture of the struggle between the profane and the sacred. Bald Mountain, according to tradition, is the gathering place of Satan, or in this case Chernabog, and his followers. Here on Walpurgis Night, which is the equivalent of our own Nightmare Night and Earth's Halloween, the creatures of evil gather to worship their master. Under his spell, they dance furiously until the coming of dawn and the sounds of church bells send the infernal army slinking back into their abodes of darkness. And then we hear the Ave Maria, with its message of the triumph of hope and life over the powers of despair and death."

The guest conductor, disguised as a pony, raised his hooves. Ready to play the music.

Symphony of Sorcery
Sleeping Village/Bald Mountain
Present Time

Mist. Nothing but mist covered the view of our heroes. After listening to the information and warnings from Deems and Leopold; Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Octavia, Vinyl, Spike and Jiminy Cricket traveled through this cursed land in search of the last two sheet music while being extra cautious... for the devil that lives in these very parts.

"I've never seen fog this thick on Nightmare Night," Spike noted.

"Fog's so thick, the birds might as well be walkin'," Applejack replied.

"We better watch our step," Twilight advised, her horn glowing brightly.

"It is rather chilly out here," Rarity replied, lighting the way as well. "Shouldn't we wear something warmer?"

"It's not like it is freezing outside, Rarity," Twilight said. "But I do get a chill just looking at this place."

"Vinyl, I don't feel very comfortable around here," Octavia spoke anxiously.

"Me too," Vinyl said, bringing a hoof around her best friend. "But that's okay. You have me and the others looking after you."

The cellist, though scared still, gave her friend a small smile.

"We better stick together and not split up," Jiminy Cricket suggested. "Who knows what ghastly stuff we'll run into?"

As our heroes slowly walked on, feeling more uncomfortable than usual, the mist became less dense, revealing some old houses in a spooky atmosphere.