Chapter 6

[ haha hello ]

Today is the day the team Sweet & Sour has to take the qualification test to the 30th floor. It is crucial that they pass, because if they don't, we won't get into the Workshop with just the three of us.

The past month... well, I wouldn't call it exactly eventful, but some stuff did happen after all.

As much as I tried to avoid it, I guess I made friends. The sisters started being really nice to me after I had showed them those scars of mine, and they would even protect me at times. Whenever someone else was about to find out, they helped me with some excuses or jokes or whatever.

I must say, they did save my ass a whole number of times. So I am now in a way indebted to both of them, which certainly isn't the best scenario, but it's not like I had many to choose from. I wish I could've avoided this, but unfortunately, I am too dumb at times.

Ehwa also tried her best to befriend me, but unlike the girls, she didn't have any sort of lever over me to succeed. Now, I know I might come off as cold when I say this, but honestly, I just can't bring myself to trust basically anyone. I'm already anxious enough having my secret semi-disclosed. I don't want to be hurt again. That's why I try to keep relationships on the professional level.

All kinds of 'bonding' or 'friendship' is just tiresome. Sure, having friends is beneficial. You can achieve more if you have reliable allies. But in order to have good friends, you have to be a good friend yourself. And that's the problem — I don't want to be a half-assed friend in return, but I also don't want to put effort in being a good friend, because it's most likely that what I will get in return won't be worth it.

Let's be realistic, what can you expect from an ally like Wangnan? Or anyone else from Sweet & Sour? They're objectively useless. They're too nice. And while that's a good trait for a 'friend', it makes them weak. So it comes down to either unhelpful teammates, or those that you can't trust.

With the exception of those from the Floor of Tests. Even though I can't trust those guys too much either, I can't really put my finger on it, but I have a feeling that our bond runs deeper than 'acquaintances' or 'friends'. Even if I am not anyone's 'friend number one', it still seems they won't let go of me easily. They wouldn't abandon me... I think... I hope.

Though I would've never imagined my brother to betray me either, therefore my gut feeling means as well as nothing when it comes to this. I can only be sure about myself and what I am responsible for. Hence, assuming something about others is only going to get me disappointed. To 'always assume the worst' can come in handy.

Moving on, Wangnan is visibly on guard around me. I don't know what I did to make him suspicious of me, but I can tell he's watching me. At the moment I hope this doesn't turn into a problem.

To make things clear: I am not worried about him suspecting me because I don't exactly act as a 'teammate'. If he ever were to confront me about it, I am pretty confident Khun would assume my side. My concern is the possibility of him plotting something behind our backs and being wary of me because he sees me as a potential threat. I guess keeping an eye on him wouldn't hurt.

Arkraptor and Prince are on neutral terms with me. Prince did not like me at the beginning, but seeing Miseng fine around me, I guess he doesn't mind me anymore. When I mentioned it jokingly to him, he got all flustered and denied everything. It was so cute and innocent compared to how brave and mature he tries to act normally.

I wasn't able to see Dann around too much, he was busy with his rehabilitation most of the time.

And Khun... Well... He's been somewhat weird. Not anything too out of ordinary, but he's had me perplexed on multiple occasions, especially during the first week of me being here. After that, I kinda got used to his new demeanor. I had brushed it off because 7 years can change a person a lot, but something about his behavior still throws me off sometimes.