#Beautiful

Kit kept his eyes on the door of the apartment complex, the rain which was beating down on the roof of his car not making him feel any calmer. He’d been waiting nearly ten minutes for his mother to wrap up the conversation they were having. 

After a sixteen hour flight back to his apartment in New York he was just ready to head inside and collapse, but the growling of his stomach let him know it wouldn’t be that easy.

“Look mom” he sighed as he cut the car engine. “I gotta go, alright?”

“Alright” she replied, the fact the cheerfulness in her voice didn’t falter making Kit feel a twinge of guilt. “Just call me when you wake.”

“Love you.”

Hanging up, he pocketed his phone before pushing the door open and grabbing his bag. He decided to leave his suitcase for the later hours of the morning, quickly jogging to the door and unlocking it.

With it being nearly three in the morning, he didn’t expect to run into any of his neighbors, his choice of flight times narrowing down just for this reason. After roughly four hours of sleep in the past two days he wasn’t really ready to his sociable self. Which is why he found his pace slowing as he reached the platform of the fifth floor, where his apartment awaited, as a crash echoed down the stairwell.

He reached into his jacket pocket for his keys, his attention diverting briefly as he searched for the one which belonged to the lock and pushing it into the keyhole. He stopped to listen, waiting to see if another sound would follow the one he’d heard early, but nothing came. When it didn’t, he stepped inside and shut the door behind him.

The noise escaped his mind for a few minutes, his search through his pantry distracting him, until he heard footsteps above him. It was obvious they belonged to more than one person, making him wonder when someone had moved into the vacant space above him. He could make out a set of muffled voices, but not the words being exchanged between the two. However, judging from the fact he could even hear them at all, they were arguing.

Almost a minute later, he heard the slamming of a door followed by the sound of heavy footsteps on the stairwell outside. There was a small curiousness which arose in him, but it quickly evaporated once his apartment went dark.

“Shit…”

Stopping to open the refrigerator, he let out a deep breath once it remained dark.