Chapter 8 - Fights with milkshakes

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Chapter 8 - Fights with milkshakes

Ash walked into school on Monday feeling more exhausted than when he had left on Friday. He had been trying to organise everything for his date with Lucy for the following weekend and not having much luck. He pushed a hand through his hair in frustration and kept walking. He heard a scuffling noise from around the corner and followed the sound curiously.

“What the hell Rachel? Where do you get off?” He heard Lucy’s voice and hurried around the corner “She’s a junior, why the hell do you always feel the need to pick on her?”

Ash stopped at the scene in front of him and sighed. Lucy stood defiantly in front of a small girl who was crying and trying to pick up scraps of paper that were flying away in the breeze.

Tall, almost too beautiful for her own good Rachel stood smiling smugly at the pair. He remembered on his first day that Rachel had made some snide remark to Lucy in class. He had never really liked her since then.

“Look at her, what a sook.” Rachel laughed callously.

“She’s your sister you should give her a bit more respect.”

“Step-sister.” Rachel interrupted snidely.

“Step-sisters can get on just fine.” Lucy said through gritted teeth.

“You only get on with yours because her mother’s better than your own.” Rachel spat out maliciously.

He heard the crack before he even saw Lucy move. All he could do was watch her with complete admiration. She never backed down and stood up for others. It was something he wished he was better at.

Rachel let out an overly dramatic scream and pulled back from the slap with a surprisingly smug smile. It only made Ash wonder what she could possibly be up to.

“You’ve done it now McConnell. That will be a suspension for you right Ash?” Rachel turned to him making Ash feel trapped.

“No you fell over and hurt yourself. Lucinda saw you and went to help but you shoved her away which is why she is bruised.” Lucy said calmly as she gave the little girl a hug.

“Except that Ash saw.” Rachel beamed at him like she had his full support but knowing she had knocked down the little girl only fuelled Ash’s anger.

“No I turned up to see you push your little sister actually. Then I started helping her pick up her papers that you made her drop.” Ash told her firmly. At his words Rachel’s face fell into an intense anger as she marched over to Lucy.

“I hate you Lucy McConnell! Don’t you forget that because one day you’re going to get what’s coming to you.” Rachel hissed at her furiously but Lucy just laughed.

“Yeah whatever Rach.” Lucy just answered with another chuckle as she smiled over at Ash. With a frustrated squeal Rachel stormed off leaving the three alone.

“Are you okay little Lucy junior?” Ash asked the little girl who nodded shyly and glanced quickly at Ash before looking away “Well let’s get all your papers together so you can get to class.”

“Good timing Ash thanks.” Lucy said with a shake of her head and a furious look to where Rachel had run off.

“Wait, did you write this?” Ash asked the little girl excitedly as he held out a piece of paper to her. She nodded her head looking at him wide eyed “This is really good Lucy junior.” He enthused.

“What are you talking about Ash?” Lucy asked curiously.

“Belle this girl is a song writer if ever I saw one. I’ve never seen such beautiful poetry.” Ash said enthusiastically. While Lucy just felt more puzzled.