Chapter 9 - Style time

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Chapter 9 – Style time

The trip to the city on that gloriously sunny Saturday morning was quick and not to surprisingly surrounded in luxury. From the car that picked them up and drove them to the airport to the private jet that awaited them, Lucy felt like she was in a different world to her own.

Arriving in the noisy crowded city normally made her feel sick to the stomach but not today. A limousine had been waiting for them leaving Lucy nothing but gobsmacked. She sat there staring around her with wide eyes while Ash wondered if maybe this was too much of his lifestyle way too soon.

“You okay Belle?” Ash asked quietly.

“Yeah you live a very cool life.” She finally said with a grin.

“It might seem that way but it’s not really. Everyone thinks they can have a piece of you and some of them wait at your door to take it. There’s no privacy and people can tell lies about you that get splashed around as truth.” Ash emphasised as he looked out the window “It looks great from the outside but sometimes you get trapped in there. You feel alone and that the only person you can trust is yourself.”

“I never thought of it that way.” Lucy said seriously.

“I’m not saying I don’t have some great perks but sometimes you just crave anything that is normal. You are my normality Belle.” He told her as he reached out to touch her hand gently.

“Me?” She asked in astonishment.

“Yep you. I know we’ve only known each other for a couple of weeks but you give me…. You’re not going to lie to me. If I’m doing something stupid you’ll do that little snort of laughter. You tell me things straight….”

“I do not snort.” Lucy said insistently which just made him laugh.

“Yeah you do and it’s really cute.” He replied with a grin.

“Sir where would you like me to pull up?” A distinct voice came through the intercom.

Ash looked out the window and sighed. He was incredibly thankful that the windows were tinted in the darkest possible tint with all the people trying to peer in at them. This was why he didn’t like coming here much. He always seemed to be greeted by a crowd of loyal fans that waited desperately to see him.

“Wow you were right about the underwear throwing.” Lucy said with a chortle.

“Yep I’m afraid so.” He replied with a groan.

“You know if you said ‘hi’ to them they might leave you alone.” Lucy advised.

“I tried that and it only encouraged them.”

“Sir?” The intercom buzzed again.

“Oh sorry, inside the parking garage please Joel.” Ash answered the intercom before turning back to her with a rueful look in his eye.

“I hope you’re ready for my crazy life.” Ash just sighed again.

“I’m ready for anything as long as I get to avoid my mother.” Lucy told him with a reassuring grin and Ash nodded.

Lucy was astounded looking out the window. There were literally girls and women of nearly every age lining the driveway. She had to wonder if Penny would be in amongst them if she was standing here in front of what was Martin James’s apartment building.

They had to drive slowly and carefully so to avoid knocking anyone over. It was hard to believe that the Ash she knew was really Martin James sometimes but this definitely made it stick in her mind.