Reasons

POV: Izuku Midoriya

I stare into the mirror above my bathroom sink. The news plays throughout my small apartment, the walls bounce the incoming information into my ears.

"Channel 12 News"

"We are sad to announce that the Emerald Ripper has struck again.."

"The victim being a UA Support Division student.."

"The teen's name, 'Mei Hatsume'.."

"You may have seen her show at the annual sports festival.."

"Such a tragedy.. I wish her family well."

I've moved into the living room, I hold the remote in my hand and click the power button. Stop feeling guilty you idiot. It was worth doing.. as long as-

"Shit!" I whisper shout, grabbing my jacket off the top of the couch and booking it out the front door. How could I forget about the meeting!

Once I approach the abandoned building, I shudder. "So you want to chat, huh?" I mutter, walking to the behind of the abandoned creep show. "Ok then," I blow out a breath of air I didn't know I was holding in. After I turn the rusty handle, the door squeaks open. "Hello?"

"Hello," a deep voice responds to me, it's familiar. Of course it's familiar, you see him every kill.

"Sorry, I'm late."

"I expected as much, from you at least," the shadowy figure stands in the darkness of the room. I haven't gotten a clear view of them in a while.

"I apologize."

"Shut up, stupid-," he stops himself mid-sentence and coughs, "just shut up, let me do the talking." He paces back and forth in the darkness, his footsteps rhythmically hitting the ground. My mind flashes back to the night before and I feel like I'm going to be sick.

"Anyway, I'm sure you've seen the splash last night's kill made," the mystery figure scoffs.

"Yes, indeed I have," I respond my voice shaking slightly.

"What the hell," he speaks questioningly, but brushes it off, "why are- anyway, I needed to talk to you because.."

"Yes?"

"Well, I'm pretty positive you know 1A," the other snickers quietly, "I need you to pick the next victim from there."

"Does-?" I begin to question, but he already knows.

"Oh, and it has to be a girl."

"Are you, um, serious?" I try to hide the shock in my tone but it's useless.

"Seriously, what the hell is up with you," the voice seems to deepen as it speaks, "you better not be going soft."

"No!" I respond quickly, maybe with a little too much urgency. "No, I swear I'm ok."

"Ok, well, we'll see about that," I hear metal on metal. Moonlight shines a strand of light onto one of the counters as a shiny object comes into view. A knife.

"I'll leave you to it," the voice speaks, "message me within the next twenty four hours with your chosen subject, we need to start planning."

"Ok," I respond dryly and hurry out the door.

Am I.. am I really going soft? I couldn't be, but then.. why? Why do I feel so guilty?

Stop. Get yourself together.. you know this is what they want, make them happy. Get their approval, and then everything will turn out exactly how you want.

At least they promised that when we started this little dance.

A/N
And who do we think this mystery figure is? I tried not to make it super obvious, but I might have on accident. Please consider leaving a vote if you enjoyed!